Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Juan Morales
Clinical Time vs Simulation Time
by Juan Morales - Monday, August 27, 2018, 7:33 PM

I know this has been asked before, but it has been 5-10 years since the last time it was discussed. I was wondering if any of your programs do anything other than a 1:1 ratio for clinical:simulation time. We are trying to move towards a 2:1 ratio since simulation scenarios are much more involved with much less downtime than a normal clinical day. 

Does anybody else do a 2:1 (or other) ratio? If so, is it in your simulation policy? I have been asked to gather other policies to make the argument that it is practiced elsewhere. Please feel free to reply or message me with any information you can provide.

Thank you,

Juan Morales

Picture of Amber Jacoby
Re: Clinical Time vs Simulation Time
by Amber Jacoby - Monday, November 12, 2018, 10:00 AM

Hello there! I am new to this site and to Simulation. We just started a formal program this year and are shooting for a 2:1 ratio. Have you had any luck supporting this ratio? I believe we are going to write it into our SIM policy manual. I am in the same boat, looking for supporting reference on the topic! We had an assessment from Laerdal last Spring and I believe they supported this ratio but I am having trouble finding the details on this. 

Amber Jacoby

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Monday, November 12, 2018, 1:58 PM

Hi Amber.  If you are using simulation for clinical time, you need to check the Board of Registered Nursing for your state.  They dictate what activities can and can't be used for clinical time.  I have worked for several schools as a sim consultant and each school seems to count the hours differently,  However, recently the Board has become more strict with their approvals.

Vickie

Picture of Amber Jacoby
by Amber Jacoby - Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 10:44 AM

Thank you Vickie. Yes, my state of NE does dictate that a percentage of clinical hours can be replaced-20% however does not determine the ratio at which SIM is handled. For example some programs utilize a 1:1 ratio of SIM time to traditional hours while others use a 1:2, 1:3 and even a 1:4 in some programs i've looked into. I would really appreciate if our board would dictate this by they are not there yet! I am doing what I can to establish a 1:2 ratio and collecting evidence to support this. 

How have programs established this number when not dictated by their states? 

Thank you for your insight! 

AJ