Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Jenn Gable
Crieghton Evaluation Instrument
by Jenn Gable - Thursday, September 8, 2016, 2:43 PM

Hello,

I'm curious if anyone out there uses the C-CEI for simulations.  I would like to adopt this for our simulation lab but am curious how others use the tool.

Do you use it for high stakes simulations only or all simulations?  Do you like the evaluation to a grade, or students having to re-take the simulation?  Do you use it in replacement of your rubrics?  Is it for student feedback of performance? 

Any thoughts on this would be helpful to me.

Thank you,

Jenn Gable

Grand Rapids Community College

Grand Rapids, MI

jennifergable@grcc.edu

Picture of Diana Breed
Re: Crieghton Evaluation Instrument
by Diana Breed - Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 11:08 AM

Hi Jenn,

We are looking at different tools - leaning towards Sweeny-Clark.  Have you looked at that?

Diana Breed, RN, MSN, CHSE

Mesa Community College

Picture of Shirley Clarke
Re: Crieghton Evaluation Instrument
by Shirley Clarke - Tuesday, October 25, 2016, 6:22 PM

Hi Diana, we have been using Sweeney Clark with simulation for several years. The upside is that everyone pretty much understands Benner's Novice to expert work and it is a thread in our curriculum., it is fast and relatively easy to use.

Last December we asked faculty to watch 3 short videos and then using SC we asked them to rate the student performance. To our surprise/disappointment there was much disagreement and many people chose N/A despite there being - what we thought - was clear indication of the behaviour.  We are still working through the data and will be looking at what this means for us.

Shirley