Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Lora Bartlett
Simulated G-Tube
by Lora Bartlett - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 3:01 PM

Does anyone have a way to enable the student to administer meds and/or nourishment into a G-tube on a Vital sim mannequin? Thank you !

Lora Bartlett, MSN, RN, CNE

Picture of Rebecca Collins
Re: Simulated G-Tube
by Rebecca Collins - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 4:35 PM

Hi Lora,

I remove the plug on the left of the abdominal plate and feed a g tube through it and out the opening at bottom. Connect the g tube to a foley cath drainage bag.  You may need to cut the g tube at the end to allow for some type of connector to fit (such as a small ended suction connector-- like what comes on the ends of NG tubes.  Then connect that middle connector to the foley bag by clipping off the original connector of the foley tubing and only leaving the tubing open to connect.  The bag will collect the G tube meds and water, and is easy to empty between several students.  Rinse g tubes out after complete, but I throw away the bags.  During use, we just hang the bags on the bed rails, tubing under leg of manikin, and the male or female parts will fit back in during use. Watch for leaks.  I usually tape at the connections. R. Collins, RN, BSN

Picture of maria medina
by maria medina - Sunday, August 13, 2017, 3:49 AM

During a simulation with our first semester fundies class, I do the same thing with a G-tube in our Noelle. I use a leg bag (urine) and place the end of g-tube into top tubing and silicone it well. I then place it in the belly compartment with a towel under, just in case of leaks.This  works well and clean up is a breeze, I rinse it out with water and vinegar after the simulation. When it gets too yucky- I pitch!

Picture of Sheryl Deck
by Sheryl Deck - Wednesday, March 9, 2016, 4:38 PM

Hi Lora,

If you have the Nursing Anne maniquin use the three hole belly plate pictured above.  Move the ostomy plug to the upper left opening.  A 16FR g-tube can be inserted into the ostomy plug and inflated.  Use a drain sponge around the insertion site to hide the ostomy plug.  I have used this method to give meds and feedings many times.  It works well.

Sheryl Deck, BSN, RN

Simulation Lab Coordinator

Truman College Chicago

Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Monday, September 25, 2017, 10:24 AM

I do the same and use a  punch balloon zip tied  to the tube  easy to clean! puch balloon