Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of jane ierubino
Domestic Violence Simulation
by jane ierubino - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 1:46 PM

I have developed a 6-hour clinical simulation workshop devoted to the assessment, support, referral and documentation of domestic violence.  It is placed in the Women's Health course, but could be used in Health Assessment, Mental Health or Pediatrics.  I will be studying my workshop to see if the students improve their "Readiness to Manage Domestic Violence." 

I am curious is anyone else has developed hands on activities to simulate DV clinical content.  

I'd be glad to share my workshop with anyone who is interested.

Janey Ierubino 

Picture of Marianne Haugh
Re: Domestic Violence Simulation
by Marianne Haugh - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 2:48 PM

Hi Janey,

I would love to have a copy of the workshop if you don't mind.  I currently work in a Peds setting but my manager would like to have a simulation on abuse to assist the staff in recognizing it.  Thank you!

Marianne Haugh

Picture of Cindy Garrett
by Cindy Garrett - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 4:09 PM

Hello Jane,

I would love to see your scenario. I work with high school students and would like to incorporate DV into a teen violence scenario. I am in the processing stage of this simulation and would appreciate your view. 

Thank you,

Cindy Garrett

Picture of Shirley Clarke
by Shirley Clarke - Wednesday, December 9, 2015, 5:04 PM

This simulation sounds great. I too would like to have a copy if you are willing to share. I will let you know how and where we use it in the BScN program

Shirley Clarke

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Thursday, December 10, 2015, 4:42 PM

Hello Ms. Iierubino.   We are increasing our simulation in the area of mental health.  I would be very happy to view your workshop.  If we do use it I would be happy to collect any survey's to help with your research.  

Thank you again for your willingness to share, Diana

Diana Breed, MSN, RN

Simulation Coordinator

Mesa Community College

Picture of Stephanie Blumenfeld
by Stephanie Blumenfeld - Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 10:37 AM

Hi Janey,

I would love a copy of your simulation, thank you.  I am currently working on adding domestic violence to our nursing student curriculum, and this sounds very interesting. Thanks!