Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Jenn Gable
Debriefing
by Jenn Gable - Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 9:18 AM

Hello,

I'm preparing a faculty development presentation for debriefing and was planning to present a few models for staff to determine which they are most comfortable with.  Do you use one model for debriefing?  Or many?  Do you allow faculty to "do their own thing"?

Any words of wisdom, thoughts, ideas, help, etc. accepted. 
Thank you,

Jenn Gable MSN, RN, CCRN

Grand Rapids Community College

jennifergable@grcc.edu

Picture of Diana Breed
Re: Debriefing
by Diana Breed - Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 12:04 PM

Hi Jennifer,

I am very interested in this idea.  I am the simulation coordinator at a community college, as well.  I have tried to emulate and during faculty meeting discuss the concepts of "Debriefing for Meaningful Learning" and utilizing video playback.  However, in our college faculty have a lot of discretion related to delivering content.  I would be very interested in how you plan, if you plan, to have debriefing consistent throughout the program.  Please feel free to contact me for discussion.

Diana Breed MSN, RN

Mesa Community College

diana.breed@mesacc.edu

Picture of Mary Anne Rizzolo
by Mary Anne Rizzolo - Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 2:40 PM

Debriefing is not content,  It is a teaching methodology that needs to be done correctly to be effective.

Three documents that might help you convince your faculty that they need to select and implement a theory-based debriefing model are:

•  the NLN document on Debriefing Across the Curriculum  (http://www.nln.org/docs/default-source/about/nln-vision-series-(position-statements)/nln-vision-debriefing-across-the-curriculum.pdf?sfvrsn=0)  
  • the recently released guidelines from the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (http://www.journalofnursingregulation.com/article/S2155-8256(15)30783-3/fulltext)
  • the INACSL Standard on Debriefing (www.inacsl.org).

Picture of Carla Dormeus
by Carla Dormeus - Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 9:11 AM

Faculty have always de-briefed in a variety of ways.Our Community College believes in the concept of academic freedom and interprets it as meaning as long as course/simulation outcomes are met, how the faculty achieve them is up to their professional judgement.Research supports blending strategies: "Most expert simulation educators deliberately meld several educational strategies during debriefings based on context or specific debriefing goal rather than adhering rigidly to one particular strategy.” Promoting Excellence and Reflective Learning in Simulation (PEARLS). Eppic, W. Cheng, A. Simulation in Healthcare. Vol. 10, No. 2, April 2015.

We know that de-briefing is a cornerstone of simulation. Our center has reviewed literature and has attended courses where specific models of debriefing have been discussed (such as Debriefing assessment for Simulation in Healthcare, DASH(c) from the Center for Medical Simulation). We currently have not implemented any specific model, because, as research shows, facilitation during debriefing depends on a variety of factors: objective of exercise, complexity of scenario, experience level of participants in the simulation exercise, and time available for the session, among others. Faculty members and simulation staff conduct professional development activities that include courses, conferences, webinars, in-house training by simulation vendors, as well as being mentored by a senior faculty member.

We recognize that different techniques have unique strengths and there is not a one size fits all in simulation education. At TCC, faculty are encouraged to be creative and faculty have the freedom to choose which de-briefing technique is most appropriate, not only for the course but also for the level at which the learners/ participants are in their education, the complexity of the scenario and what the learning objectives are for a specific simulation.  TCC Simulation Center staff provides regular trainings on the debriefing processes and best practices. The training provided for the debriefing process includes a definition of debriefing, facilitator and student's role, and the optimal timing for de-briefing. There are written guidelines provided to faculty on how to conduct debriefing but we have not adopted one specific model.

Picture of Shirley Clarke
by Shirley Clarke - Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 6:03 PM

Thank you for this interesting discussion. I am in the position to present to our faculty a debriefing model that we hope to have adopted. We are looking at Debriefing for Meaningful Learning and also a model that was presented at the NLN education Summit in October on preparing nurses for coaching and debriefing. This model was well presented and appears to be one that encourages the student to think about their thinking. I am sure others are using this model that has three statements: I saw you do...,I think this ..... and I wonder what you were thinking when you did.....

I would appreciate hearing from anyone else that has used this in their program and any insights into the effectiveness of the the model.

Shirley Clarke

sclarke@vcc.ca