Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Emily Steffen
making a wound abdomen
by Emily Steffen - Friday, January 9, 2015, 2:27 PM

I am trying to create a wound abdomen that students can use to practice sterile dressing changes which involves some moisture and moist packing to be used during high fidelity simulation. The wound I want is about 6 inches in length and open about 1.5 inches wide (like the wound abdomen that comes with the Laerdal Wound Care Assessment Set). I was thinking of modifying a C-section insert from Noelle. Has anyone tried something like this or have other suggestions?

Picture of Theresa Wirth
Re: making a wound abdomen
by Theresa Wirth - Friday, January 9, 2015, 3:08 PM

This pops into nursing anne very nicely or can be a stand alone item, the wound overlay you mentioned works well but I think you have to buy the whole kit for that. Final option I could suggest is building one using smooth on silicone , just mold what you want the wound to look like and put it in a box and pour the silicone around it.

Picture of Emily Steffen
by Emily Steffen - Friday, May 8, 2015, 12:32 PM

This is the solution I came up with for adding an abdominal incision to a high fidelity simulator that could be packed with a moistened dressing. The materials used were the C-section insert to Noelle, knife, paint brush, and gel effects. This solution worked but definitely needs some improvement. One problem was the gel effects disintegrated after several moistened dressing changes. I tried coating the gel effects with mod podge, but that did not help. I think the one problem was that nothing would stick to the material of the C-section insert, not even super glue. The gel effects seen in picture #4 could easily be removed in one piece.

Just thought I would share.

Picture of Rebecca Collins
by Rebecca Collins - Friday, November 20, 2015, 11:27 AM

Use larger size craft foam from craft store (varied colors according to color of manikin). Trace the Laeradal wound abdomen overlay onto the craft foam to get the size of abdomen. Cut the size of the opening to the incision you want in the center of the foam abdomen. Use a thicker type kitchen sponge and hollow out the inside middle in shape of the incision also and tape or super glue to the foam underside of incision opening.  In other words the inside of the incision is the sponge, and the outer part of incision and skin surrounding it is the foam.  I painted the sponge with some red and pink paint or you may add some other colors to represent infection or drainage.   These can be used over and over even with dampness because it air drys easily on the sponge.  (just remember to remove any dressings before storing).  These can be used on manikins by making a velcro belt to attach around the manikin or just lay one on the manikin while someone holds it if only using for check offs or practice.  Takes a little time, but several can be made ahead of time for manikins and reuse frequently.  If using velcro to secure to manikins, I suggest the stronger hold velcro, and cut lengths to fit around manikins.  Another good thing is dressing's paper tape removes easily and you do not have the sticky residue as if using the Laerdal overlay wound