Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Hello everyone:

Has anyone tried to align their simulation objectives to the course objectives?  Would you be willing to share your thoughts and offer some suggestions on how to go about it?

Thanks,

Bernadette O'Halloran RN, MSN

Assistant Professor

St. Vincent's College

Bridgeport, CT

bernadette.o'halloran@stvincentscollege.edu

I wiuld kike to get information regarding aligning the simulation regarding the course objectiives 

I would like to share ur information 

My email 

Galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa 

Hello Bernadette

Did you get your answer to this post? I have some ideas and can share how we are trying to develop this. The short answer is yes but with varied success. When we work with faculty to develop cases for scenarios we have them begin with a review of the course objectives and use that to develop scenario objectives. We encourage them not have more than 3 objectives per scenario, if the faculty want to include more we have them develop another scenario to utilize the additional ones. We then use the scenario objectives to structure the debriefing process.

John Cornele, MSN, RN, CNE, EMT-P

Director; Center for Interdisciplinary Clinical Simulation and Practice

Drexel  University

College of Nursing and Health Professions 245 N 15th Street Mail  Stop 501Philadelphia, PA 19102

Tel: 215-762-3766 office | Fax: 215-762-7310 cornele@drexel.edu

Hello, John:

I apologize for the delayed response.  I just finished the first half of the semester incorporating the course objectives with the learning objectives for simulation.  Since I was also a Clinical Instructor for all of the nursing courses over the past few semesters here at SVC, I developed the learning objectives based on what the faculty and I thought were the weaknesses of our students.  We have about 3-5 learning objectives set for each scenario.  There are some commonalities with the learning objectives: patient safety, infection control, communication (using the SBAR), focused assessment.  I'm trying to align these objectives with QSEN and TJC's Patient Safety Goals and NCLEX-RN blueprint.  So far, the feedback of the experiences from students are quite positive.  I am now finding that the length of the simulation differs according to the learning objectives set for simulation.  Thanks for sharing what you do over at Drexel...

Bernadette O'Halloran RN, MSN
Assistant Professor, Nursing
Rm. 212
(203) 576-6290
Email:
Bernadette.O'Halloran@stvincentscollege.edu

St. Vincent's College
2800 Main St.
Bridgeport, CT 06606

www.stvincentscollege.edu

Hi Bernadette,

I am in need of guidance for lining up learning objectives as well.  Is there a good reference that you use when doing this?  Have you found the learning objectives in the pre-built scenarios (we have meti-man) to be accurate or have you re-written them.

Thanks,

Pam Oshaben, RN,MSN

North Central Michigan College

I will need to do this too. anyone with experience recommend a systematic method of completing this task for a 60 hour associate degree program?  We use simulation in most every course

I have the same concerns. We are developing a concept based curriculum and bundling concept lesson plans. I would like the simulations included to have a seamless feel in terms of relationship to the concepts. Any suggestions from my peers are very much appreciated. I will check this thread often to see the progress. I know everyone is doing great work out there. Thanks. Debbie McClure, MS, CNE, RN

Associate Professor of Nursing

Central Wyoming College

1-307-855-2171

dmcclure@cwc.edu

Debbie I work in an Associate Degree Program in North Carolina which converted to a Concept Curriculum in 2009. We relate  the  concept bundle with the NLN Scenarios that we do for each course in Simulation. Example we did core and complex "Marilyn Hughes" (fracture, ORIF, Compartment syndrome) Student developed bundle "Perfusion, Sensory, Comfort, Stress-Coping". We use the NLN objectives for the simulation adding our concept planning objective.

In our paperwork (what has to be filled out for each simulation) our faculty must input 3 different set of objectives

1.  Simulation Learning Objectives 

a.  What we give the students ahead of time

b.  For example - The learner will demonstrate safe IV medication administration.

2.  Program/Curriculum Specific Objectives and Outcomes

a.  Usually faculty use the objectives/outcomes of the course that fit their choice of scenario

3.  Simulation Specific Objective

a.  Very specific simulation objectives - For example, the learner will recognize the unsafe blood pressure and hold lasix administration.  

Included in the paperwork (my responsibility) is to map to the NCLEX test plan and the KSA's.

Does that help?

Diana