Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Crissy Hunter
Pediactric Simulation
by Crissy Hunter - Thursday, January 8, 2015, 11:56 AM

Hey all, 

I am tasked with running a pediatric simulation with our 2nd semester ADN students. Any thoughts or scenarios you would be willing to share would be great!

Thank you

Picture of ghada almukhaini
Re: Pediactric Simulation
by ghada almukhaini - Thursday, January 8, 2015, 1:09 PM

I would like to ask you for this kind of scenarios

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Friday, January 9, 2015, 1:25 PM

I have a pediatric simulation that runs for 4-5 hours with 4 students at a time if you are interested.  We use it to make up for the lack of clinical time.   Diana

Picture of Janet Terra
by Janet Terra - Friday, January 9, 2015, 2:42 PM

I would very much like to see your scenario, Diana.  My email address is

by ghada almukhaini - Friday, January 9, 2015, 3:41 PM

Yes .. I would appreciate your sharing ur scenarios and setting for the simulation diana . My email galmukhaini@

Picture of Crissy Hunter
by Crissy Hunter - Friday, January 9, 2015, 4:09 PM

Absolutely Diana. Thank you for being willing to share.

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Friday, January 9, 2015, 4:17 PM

Hi Everyone, I was responding individually, but I thought it might be easier for me to post it here, so everyone can see how we set up our scenario

Our set up includes 3 manikins and 1 live patient (we use social media/SNA/ for volunteers)
1 - baby
1 - jr vita sim
1 - HAL (Guamard)
1 - Live actress/actor - with a cell phone so we can text instructions if necessary

1st 30 minutes: 
A. Orientation to the room including medication and simulation clock. We are using "real time" meaning that if they are supposed to give a medication over 5 minutes, they should be at the bedside pushing for 5 minutes.
B. Orientation to the manikins - introducing student to the manikins, having them listen to the breath sounds so they can understand the capabilities and limitations. We explain that if they want to get the information they must complete the action --- for example if the want grips/pushes they must be at the patients foot of the bed and have their hands on the patients feet and asking him to push down.
2nd 30 minutes:
A. Report (I have video/taped). The students are given various report sheets/ brain sheets they may use, but they must take report on all patients (We have used up to 5 students per time with this process - but only leave 3 students in the room after report. This is a deliberate embedded challenge faculty have added as they want to have the students organize and prioritize care for 4 patients using only 3 students. Other students watch, taking notes on safety and infection control. Half way through the simulation any student observing is rotated in. They are given a nurse they must take over for, get report and pick up where the last student left off in patient care) 
B. Organization. Students will than utilize the charts and the information from report to prioritize their day. Once that is completed the "observation" students will be asked to step out and the students start their day (Simulation clock is set for 0745 to simulate the start of a shift)
2-4 Hours
A. Patient Care: Student are expected to complete a head to toe assessment, administer ordered medication, communicate findings to the provider and document. We have piloted an EHR in the past, but currently do not have access to one at this time, so all charts are paper. 
B. Embedded Challenges - beyond what is on the paper attached. Our lab tech is amazing and she has the IV in the patients hooked to empty IV bags with 3-way stopcocks that allow us to turn on the IV pumps to be running as in "real life" We always set pumps to "complete infusion" within the first 2 hours of the simulation. 
5th Hour ( we run it twice a day to rotate an entire clinical group through in one day - debriefing is done in another room as orientation starts for the next group)
A. Students are expected to identify challenges and concerns as well as priorities
B. Safety issues are identified
C. Students discuss learning and needs for continued practice. 

It is an amazing process. I would be happy to discuss with you how we run it specifically if you would like. Feel free to call/write at any time.

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Friday, January 9, 2015, 5:02 PM
by ghada almukhaini - Monday, January 12, 2015, 6:12 AM

hello Diana,, thank you very much for the valuable information ,, could you tell me how to run it specifically . because i have 7 labs .and i have 80 students .. i wonder how it is going to run this speicifically .. 

and usuallly he student get the lab classes from the first week of the semester , so whole setting of the pediatric skills and practical requirments are desired from the begining till the end .. do you mean that the student is going to have only one rotation for the lab .. ( coz we have every week one day lab and that is 5 hours exposure) . and how about the exam idea. how do u evaluate the students for the exam .. is going to be the same scenario or we make a new one .. 

my email

Picture of Jacob Fisher
by Jacob Fisher - Wednesday, June 14, 2017, 7:10 PM

Thanks for the post, it was very informative! I am working to develop pediatric simulations as the major hospital we use to complete clinical is moving and will be closed for half the semester. I was wondering if you had any other information you could share with your experience with the simulation layout and design. We were going to develop 1 acute and 1 chronic sim but I really like the way you had it set up with multiple patients to work on prioritizing and the idea of replacing the sim group members with the observing group.

Thanks. I look forward to hearing from you.

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Tuesday, August 22, 2017, 2:40 PM

Hi Jacob,

If you download the excel check off list, there are instructions to get the idea started.  This particular simulation was developed because our students were not getting more than observation in the pediatric hospitals.  It focuses on organization, time management and prioritizing.  It runs about 2.5 hours in the simulation (report is video taped and played prior to starting) and then we debrief.  Every once in a while we have to stop and do a situational awareness if they are completely getting off track.  The long time allow them to take time, develop their own plan and determine how long it actually takes to complete a task.  From the time they recognize they need to give morphine, call the physician, answer all her questions, and then draw it up and give is over 30 min.  - of course longer when they don't have the weight of the patient and have to call back.  

I start with orientation: 

1. Manikins ( what do they do/ how do they sound)

2. Equipment (iv pumps, pyxis (we just use a powerpoint with hyperlinks on an ipad) and disposables

3.  phone 

4.  expectations

Debriefing - We use DML

Feel free to call or write with any questions.

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Saturday, January 10, 2015, 4:55 PM

Hi Crissy.  We have one that we use on Peds orientation day, so it is short and to-the-point.  Actually 2 scenarios with the same 4-year-old patient admitted for gastroenteritis with persistent vomiting and diarrhea.

First scenario objective:  1) take vital signs and use age appropriate language and techniques.  2) Interacting with the parent (who is laying in bed with the child).  Debriefing includes assessment "tricks" with children, having the parent help, how the scenario would change if the patient was a 2-year-old or 10-year-old, etc.

Second scenario is giving rectal suppository to the same patient who has a temp.  Patient of course doesn't cooperate and mother is questioning why patient can't just take the "pink stuff" like at home.  Debriefing also includes lack of arm band on patient, and again how this would change with 2-year-old and 10-year-old.

Good luck with your sim!

Vickie Valenziano

Simulation Lab Coordinator

Cuesta College