Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Bernadette O'Halloran
Fundamentals Simulation
by Bernadette O'Halloran - Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 11:11 AM

Hello,

When do you use simulation scenarios for the first level nursing students?  Would it be after a lecture so they have some knowledge about what to expect in simulation? or Do you upload a pre-recorded simulation topic for them to view before the actual simulation?  I appreciate any feedback on how you go about introducing simulation for the first year nursing students even before their first real clinical unit experience.

Thanks,

Bernadette O'Halloran RN, MSN

Assistant Professor

St. Vincent's College

Bridgeport, CT

bdohal@gmail.com

Picture of bonita kershaw
Re: Fundamentals Simulation
by bonita kershaw - Tuesday, December 30, 2014, 11:54 AM

Bernadette

I use simulation in level one as part of the lab especially safety and communication. I also use simulation as a clinical day. The students have had the subject matter in theory prior to use in simulation. I do pre simulation homework packets that the students need to fill out and bring to simulation. This prepares them for the simulation experience. I review the packets with the students prior to simulation.

Hope this helps.

Bonita Kershaw, MSN, RN, CHSE

Learning Resource Coordinatior

ST Joseph School of Nursing

by Bernadette O'Halloran - Thursday, January 8, 2015, 4:30 PM

Hello, Bonita:

How many students do you have per simulation at this level and how long does it take you to do all of these activities including the review of the pre simulation assignment? 

Thanks,

Bernadette

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Saturday, January 10, 2015, 5:00 PM

Bernadette,

We have two simulation days with first semester students.  One after they have learned physical assessment, so the scenario is performing a complete assessment; debriefing:  identify normal/abnormal findings.  Corresponds to content they have recently learned.

Second simulation is assessment of a post-operative patient (after they have had content).  This patient is ideal as has several abnormalities and also lots of tubes (IV, JP, SCD, CPM, Foley).   Preparation is the same as for a hospital clinical day so the same papers (flowsheet, med sheets, etc.)

They already had manikin and simulation orientation during the first week of school.

Vickie Valenziano

Simulation Lab Coordinator

Cuesta College

by Bernadette O'Halloran - Saturday, January 17, 2015, 3:19 PM

Thanks, Bonita... these are helpful suggestions.

Bernadette