Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of vickie valenziano
LVN simulations for L&D, PP and newborn
by vickie valenziano - Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 6:09 PM

I am trying to develop sims for LVN students for L&D, PP and newborn.  In our county they are not employed in these areas.   Would like to know what others are doing for LVN students?

Vickie Valenziano

Simulation Lab Coordinator

Cuesta College

San Luis Obispo, CA

Picture of Jenn Gable
Re: LVN simulations for L&D, PP and newborn
by Jenn Gable - Tuesday, December 2, 2014, 2:16 PM

Hello,

I am actually exploring this for our LPN students.  I found a nice article in my research related to different sims to do with LPN students.  [Miller, K. (2014). The effects of simulation activities on maternal-newborn knowlegde in a practical nursing course: Implications for practice. International Journal of Childbirth Education, 29(1), p. 41-45] 

The faculty for this class haven't been gung-ho with doing a full on delivery simulation but I argue that seeing/experiencing a birth, can help them understand some of the postpartum complications.  I am going to suggest a simulated birth, newborn care simulation and a pre and postpartum visit. 

While I'm not much help to you at this point, I'd like to see what others may offer.

I do have a Mama Natalie from Laerdal and am considering doing a birthing simulation vs using Noelle.  Also, we are discussing doing a breatfeeding class, some simulated home visits or even into the virtual world. 

thanks,

Jenn

Grand Rapids Community College

Grand Rapids, MI

Picture of Allison Sutphin
by Allison Sutphin - Thursday, December 4, 2014, 12:41 PM

We have been running a postpartum hemorrhage scenario with the LPN students for several years here.  We actually use the same scenario for both the ADN and PN students but the PN students are supposed to call for the charge nurse once they determine the patient is unstable.  At that point the faculty acting as the charge RN will prompt them if needed but they generally are able to finish on their own.  We just this week got a new SimMom and I'm toying with the idea of running some type of delivery scenario but not sure yet about what that may be.

Picture of Allison Sutphin
by Allison Sutphin - Thursday, December 4, 2014, 12:41 PM

We have been running a postpartum hemorrhage scenario with the LPN students for several years here.  We actually use the same scenario for both the ADN and PN students but the PN students are supposed to call for the charge nurse once they determine the patient is unstable.  At that point the faculty acting as the charge RN will prompt them if needed but they generally are able to finish on their own.  We just this week got a new SimMom and I'm toying with the idea of running some type of delivery scenario but not sure yet about what that may be.