Equipment Issues

Picture of Jo-Ann Cole
Patient Simulators
by Jo-Ann Cole - Monday, January 6, 2014, 12:39 PM

Hello. We are in the process of upgrading our simulation resources. The number one priority at the moment is to purchase new patient simulators. We are currently running simulations in both our Associate Degree and Baccalaureate Degree nursing programs. Any feedback on your experiences with gaumard and laerdal would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jo-Ann

Maria Whyte
Re: Patient Simulators
by Maria Whyte - Monday, January 6, 2014, 1:43 PM

Jo-Ann
Buy for what you do! Don't buy simulators that do things you do not need?
The Laerdal 3 G is amazing, but how often are you going to use the respiratory/anesthesia components?
Ask what they come with. I just bought the ALS simulator from Laerdal, they don't come with genitalia or monitor mounts.
Evaluate the service contract. What have you needed in the past?
Hope this helps
Maria
Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Monday, January 6, 2014, 3:42 PM

HI Jo-Ann,
I agree with Maria, seek your mannequin for the uses you are intending and potential flexibility of the product. I have to say that as a long time 3G user with MANY issues and repairs, and replacements (2nd man, 4th leg since September,) I highly suggest looking at Gaumard. We are on our original simulator of over 6 years, with RARE issues during that time, and much better local and tech support.
Support is another area you certainly want to evaluate. Do you have IT backing at your institution or will you be the sole responsible person for that function as well....ease of use, maintenance, programming, warranty also play a role.
Lastly, I also agree that the bells and whistles are nice, but not required for nursing programs (we are one)....we opted for 3G just for that reason instead of 2 Sim Men, and presumed functionality across the curriculum, which has not benefited us at all due to failures and downtime.

Best of luck in whatever you decide! Happy to chat offline more if you need.
Wendy
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Monday, January 6, 2014, 4:32 PM

Wendy
Can you talk about programing the Gaumond products?
Maria
Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 9:49 AM

Our faculty prefer the ease of the Gaumond simulators. As they more often teach "on the fly" simulation, it is easier for them to change settings. The laptop use is wifi and does not require heavy wiring in order to operate. They are not as easy to use as the simpads (laerdal) but easier than sim man. Just my two cents...
Picture of Colleen Tingey
by Colleen Tingey - Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 12:45 PM

We have had several Gaumard Noelle manikins and get a little frustrated with constant software updates and numerous technical difficulties. Their tech support is very good, however I wish I didn't have to interact with them as often as I have. We have 12 Laerdal VitalSim manikins and have been fairly happy with them except for a couple of issues. The SimPads time out and turn off after an hour,even when plugged in. We have had some issues with manikins jumping from one SimPad to another when running all of them simultaneously. I would advise considering high fidelity simulators from CAE, formerly Meti. We have had several different models and currently have a MetiMan Nursing. We have been very pleased with these manikins. They are reliable and have very few technical issues. When they do, tech support is great and easy to work with. We just went to Sarasota Florida for training on our MetiMan (training is included with purchase, but you provide your own travel expenses)and training was VERY helpful. I would recommend purchasing the extended warranty on whatever manikin you purchase.

Good luck!
Picture of Melissa Morris
by Melissa Morris - Wednesday, January 8, 2014, 2:54 PM

We use CAE/Meti Metiman Nurse, iStan, PediSim, and BabySim as well as Gaumard Noelle.

The CAE/Meti products have held up well, a few are over 5 years old. The tech support is very good, and the Muse software is a breeze. We are very happy with the simulators.

I have found the CAE/Meti simulators reliabel with few technical issues and excellent support. We do have the extended warranty on all our Meti products.

Best,
M. Morris, MSN, RN, CPN
Clinical Manager of HPS and Skills Lab