Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Jo-Ann Cole
Code 99 Scenarios with senior med surg students
by Jo-Ann Cole - Monday, December 16, 2013, 10:29 AM

Hello. We are trying to thread Code 99 scenarios between the first and second year med surg rotations. I'm currently looking for a series of short Code 99 scenarios for our senior students. We will be using some of our current patients but I was looking for some new ideas that may have worked well for you.

I'm specifically looking for patients with different problems. The goal is for them to identify a trend quickly and intervene. If you have any simulations that have worked well for you and you would be willing to share them, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Jo-Ann

Maria Whyte
Re: Code 99 Scenarios with senior med surg students
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 11:02 AM

Jo Anne I am trying to do the same thing. If there are no responses willing to work with you!

Hi Maria. Sounds good to me! I've also been searching on-line. If I come up with anything, I'll send it your way. Jo-Ann

Our simulation program is joined to our Adult I and Adult II Med-Surg courses which involve Junior II and Senior I students. We usually run an orientation to the simulator "Orientation to SIm Man" ( we use Larerdal products) where they listen to breath sounds, heart sounds etc., then we run healthy patient, change the parameters and throw the manikin into a lethal arrhythmia like ventricular fibrillation "off the cuff" that way you can control the outcome directly. We always have them leave with a positive ooutcome the first time. This so far seems to have the effect of creating more confidence in the student before they hit the floors working on "live "patients since they have faced and intervened with the worst case scenario in simulation. We have had positive feedback from our students with this.
Sherry Warnock, MSN, RN, ACNS-BC
Armstrong Atlantic State University
Savannah, Georgia

Sherry,

My name is Dawn Irvin. I am the lab coordinator for Brown Mackie College and am seeking somewhere I could come to learn more about how to operate more effectively our SimMan 3G. Looking at your post you are in Savannah and I am in Greenville. Would it be feasible if I could come and shadow someone and get some pointers? We have a ADN program and I would love to learn more about setting up scenarios, etc for a better learning for these students before the go live in clinicals, and to boost their confidence.

Thank you,

Dawn Irvin

dirvin@brownmackie.edu

(864) 905-3288