Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Angela Hayes
Multi-patient Scenario
by Angela Hayes - Friday, December 13, 2013, 10:27 AM
I am developing a multipatient scenario as a capstone simulation. The plan is to develop a three patient simulation. I need recommendation to ensure the success of the scenario. Would someone be will to share a multipatient simulation that they have done ? My email address is Thanks !
Picture of Crissy Hunter
Re: Multi-patient Scenario
by Crissy Hunter - Friday, December 13, 2013, 11:36 AM
I as well would be VERY interested in the same type of simulation experience.
Picture of Jo-Ann Cole
by Jo-Ann Cole - Friday, December 13, 2013, 12:41 PM
We are also in the process of looking at creating multipatient scenarios with our senior students. I would also be interested in any resources or feedback that anyone has to offer. Thank you. Jo-Ann
Picture of Erica Alexander
by Erica Alexander - Friday, December 13, 2013, 1:43 PM

We have one that I will share. We have five patients, three are simulators, one is a low-fidelity manikin and the other is an actor. It of course can be modified to be less patients. If you do not see the e-mail by the end of the day, please feel free to e-mail me.

Picture of Janet Terra
by Janet Terra - Thursday, December 26, 2013, 8:57 PM
I would also be interested in seeing this scenario. You are very generous for sharing. Thank you. Janet Terra
Picture of Marsha King
by Marsha King - Thursday, January 2, 2014, 3:08 PM

Would you please send me a copy of your scenario with mulitple patients?

This is my email:

Thank you so much,

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Friday, January 3, 2014, 10:58 AM
Done -- Hope it helps, Diana
Picture of debbie davis
by debbie davis - Friday, January 3, 2014, 1:19 PM

I am also interested in the multi-patient scenerio. Could you also send my way at I would greatly appreciate it.

Debbie Davis
Picture of Erica Alexander
by Erica Alexander - Thursday, January 9, 2014, 5:01 PM
I believe I have responded to everyone's request for sharing our multi-patient simulation. The subject of the e-mail may say "multi-site simulation" as my mind was apparently thinking about something else. If I missed anyone, please let me know and I will be happy to share. If anyone else is interested, just let me know and I will be happy to share.
Picture of LaTashia  Tittle
by LaTashia Tittle - Thursday, January 9, 2014, 5:58 PM
Hi Erica,

Can you please send me the multi-patient scenario that you are using. I would like to show it to my administrators in an effort to validate the need for an additional mid-fidelity mannequin.

Also, if you are using a rubric of some sort for simulation, would you mind sharing that with me as well?

Thank you kindly,

Picture of Kim Smallhorn
by Kim Smallhorn - Friday, January 10, 2014, 11:46 AM

I would love to see what you have to share. We are in the process of getting our simulation labs going. We have all the equipment and now just need resources.

Thank you in advance.

Kim Smallhorn

Picture of darcey rosenblum
by darcey rosenblum - Sunday, January 12, 2014, 11:25 PM

If you would be willing to share I would also like a copy of the multi patient simulation. My email address is

Thank you very much.
Picture of Debbie Murphy
by Debbie Murphy - Monday, January 13, 2014, 5:41 AM
I would also like to see your multi-patient scenario. Thank you for sharing. Debbie
Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Monday, January 13, 2014, 12:22 PM
Hi Everyone, I was responding individually, but I thought it might be easier for me to post it here, so everyone can see how we set up our scenario

Our set up includes 3 manikins and 1 live patient (we use social media/SNA/ for volunteers)
1 - baby
1 - jr vita sim
1 - HAL (Guamard)
1 - Live actress/actor - with a cell phone so we can text instructions if necessary

1st 30 minutes:
A. Orientation to the room including medication and simulation clock. We are using "real time" meaning that if they are supposed to give a medication over 5 minutes, they should be at the bedside pushing for 5 minutes.
B. Orientation to the manikins - introducing student to the manikins, having them listen to the breath sounds so they can understand the capabilities and limitations. We explain that if they want to get the information they must complete the action --- for example if the want grips/pushes they must be at the patients foot of the bed and have their hands on the patients feet and asking him to push down.
2nd 30 minutes:
A. Report (I have video/taped). The students are given various report sheets/ brain sheets they may use, but they must take report on all patients (We have used up to 5 students per time with this process - but only leave 3 students in the room after report. This is a deliberate embedded challenge faculty have added as they want to have the students organize and prioritize care for 4 patients using only 3 students. Other students watch, taking notes on safety and infection control. Half way through the simulation any student observing is rotated in. They are given a nurse they must take over for, get report and pick up where the last student left off in patient care)
B. Organization. Students will than utilize the charts and the information from report to prioritize their day. Once that is completed the "observation" students will be asked to step out and the students start their day (Simulation clock is set for 0745 to simulate the start of a shift)
2-4 Hours
A. Patient Care: Student are expected to complete a head to toe assessment, administer ordered medication, communicate findings to the provider and document. We have piloted an EHR in the past, but currently do not have access to one at this time, so all charts are paper.
B. Embedded Challenges - beyond what is on the paper attached. Our lab tech is amazing and she has the IV in the patients hooked to empty IV bags with 3-way stopcocks that allow us to turn on the IV pumps to be running as in "real life" We always set pumps to "complete infusion" within the first 2 hours of the simulation.
5th Hour ( we run it twice a day to rotate an entire clinical group through in one day - debriefing is done in another room as orientation starts for the next group)
A. Students are expected to identify challenges and concerns as well as priorities
B. Safety issues are identified
C. Students discuss learning and needs for continued practice.

It is an amazing process. I would be happy to discuss with you how we run it specifically if you would like. Feel free to call/write at any time.
Picture of Debbie McClure
by Debbie McClure - Wednesday, April 23, 2014, 4:28 PM
Hi: Diana
I have read with interest your description of a multi-patient simulation experience. I am determined to develop one for our 4th semester students to use next spring. I would like to know how many students you are getting through say an 8 hour clinical day? I usually schedule simulation experiences for groups of 8 students and run the scenario for usually 3-4 separate days depending on the size of the cohort. Does the schedule for as you describe work for 2 4 hour periods and how much time do you allow for debrief? Do you debrief the entire group and the end of the day or debrief after each group? I have very little help in my lab for now, like none. But, we are in a new and beautiful building with an awesome lab. I am hoping as I design more complex days I will be able to have some additional faculty or tech assistance. Are you able to manage this day yourself? I would think there would be additional faculty managing an overlapping debrief while the next group begins? I would love more information. Your description looks really interesting and I would love to correspond. Thanks. Debbie McClure MS, RN, CNE, Central Wyoming College, RIverton WY