Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Crissy Hunter
Allowing Repetition
by Crissy Hunter - Thursday, December 5, 2013, 10:29 AM

Good Morning. I work in an associate degree nursing program. I was wondering if anyone allows students to repeat simulations (either the same day or anytime during the semester).
Our students frequently ask to repeat a simulation that they feel they didn't do well on. We have allowed it later in their semester and students are appreciative of the opportunity to demonstrate growth. I was wondering if anyone else has noted the same or if you know of any research that supports repetition.
Thanks
Crissy

Picture of A Sehmel
Re: Allowing Repetition
by A Sehmel - Thursday, December 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

Hi Chrissy,

We do sim sessions at our ADN Community College program, and we have them re-try the sim after we've debriefed the first go-round... they love it. They SEE their progress.

We usually switch their roles.

We had our college foundation rep attend and she was AMAZED at the richness of the experience and their participation and grasp.

Please write if you'd like to chat more

Andrea

P.S. I think repeating the SAME sim session a few months later would be extremely beneficial... it's just the time it takes, two full days to get 35 students through umpteen 2-hour sessions... as you probably already well know!

Picture of Diana Breed
Re: Allowing Repetition
by Diana Breed - Thursday, December 5, 2013, 1:56 PM

Hello Crissy, I help with simulation at the University of Phoenix and their model include 2 sessions for each scenario. The second time we may change the "confederate's" role a little - for example have them play it a little more anxious or angry to change the dynamics, but the patient stays the same.

In my home school students constantly want to repeat the experience. Our best results came from when we did a long and involved simulation due to lack of pediatric clinical. We did 4 patients where three students took report, they took care of the patients on their ward for 2.5 hours (30 minutes for report). As you can imagine lots of learning took place including the need to change how they organize and prioritize. Then we repeated the experience with the same patients but 3 days later in their hospital care (one patient ready for discharge, one is now post-op, one bounced back after being home one day, and one developed complications). That way they could move forward. The students who planned in advance due to their previous learning were able to avoid the same pitfalls. This kind of set up is intensive, but we run it over the weekend so we can leave it up and get all students through - one set up, one take down.

Diana Breed (MCC Simulation Coordinator)