Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Jean Halpern
Sim Chart EMR
by Jean Halpern - Monday, November 4, 2013, 5:21 PM

I was wondering if any nursing schools adopted Sim Chart recently and if the bar code scanning for sim works well? Is the tech support adequate? Thank you. Please email me at .

Picture of Elizabeth Wells-Beede
Re: Sim Chart EMR
by Elizabeth Wells-Beede - Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 7:42 PM
I would like to tag on to this question if I could. We are currently working on trying to incorporate the same items in our program. I would greatly appreciate any assistance to help us make some decisions. Thank you in advance!
Picture of Bernadette O'Halloran
by Bernadette O'Halloran - Thursday, December 5, 2013, 1:20 PM

I am also interested in getting some feedback to those who use the Sim Chart. Thank you. 

Bernadette O'Halloran RN,MSN

Picture of A Sehmel
by A Sehmel - Thursday, December 5, 2013, 11:22 PM

Hi, we don't use SimChart for sim sessions (yet), but do use it with our first-year ADN students for clinical and outrotation experiences.

Generally-speaking, they definitely don't love it, but we see its benefit in their developing some software navigation/assessment/forms completion competency.

SimChart is very non-intuitive, non user-friendly, and cumbersome. It is very glitchy. Data entered may or may not 'take' and show up for students and/or instructors.

Tech support is good, initial training was not. Follow-up opportunities and training seems non-existent.

I would give it a 5/10. Definite room for improvement, but not terrible.

by Bernadette O'Halloran - Saturday, December 28, 2013, 8:03 AM
Thank you for your feedback.
Picture of Debbie Murphy
by Debbie Murphy - Friday, December 6, 2013, 12:38 AM
We have been using SimChart for about a year and a half. The tech support is fantastic. The product seemed to be a good fit for us for clinical paperwork and charting for clinical. We use it exclusively for the EMR in simulation. It is a bit cumbersome but recent releases have fixed a number of issues and it is getting better all the time. One problem there still exists is making changes. If you need to edit labs or meds, you need to delete them all and start all over again just to make a change in one value. You cannot delete one test without deleting all tests. I have had conversations with designers over the bar code system. It works alright and many programs use it but it will not work with our simulation program. We use a MedDispense unit and we need to stock it with drugs that are barcoded for the strength of the medication. Sim Chart generates a dose specific barcode. I thought they got the idea when I talked to them but they never made the change. They need to barcode the drug not the physicians order. We do 27 different simulations over the course of the semester and one of them has 5 patients. We cannot stock meds in the unit for each patient's dose. For example we have 10 ml lasix vials with 40mg/ml. They are all barcoded the same. But SimChart will produce a different barcode for patient A that is getting 20mg of lasix and another different barcode for the patient that is getting 10 mg of lasix etc. That doesn't work for us. There are lots of pros and cons but we are making it work. The other products that we considered were either too expensive or did not really work well with what we were doing. Debbie
by Bernadette O'Halloran - Saturday, December 28, 2013, 8:04 AM
I appreciate your feedback, Debbie.
Picture of Michelle Sherlin
by Michelle Sherlin - Thursday, March 13, 2014, 12:48 PM
Hi Deb, would you by chance be able to email me your contact info? I am looking at simchart and am the simulation coordinator for our school of nursing. I would love to have a conversation with you if you have time. Thanks!! Michelle