Equipment Issues

Picture of Rickie Bonner
Silicone used to plug IV bags???
by Rickie Bonner - Monday, March 4, 2013, 1:57 PM

Does anyone have info on how to use Silicone to "re-plug" IV bags so students can re-puncture them? Looking for ways to save those $$$!

Picture of Mary Medendorp
Re: Silicone used to plug IV bags???
by Mary Medendorp - Thursday, October 24, 2013, 3:52 PM

I have not tried this, but someone told me you could use the foam ear plugs to seal off already spiked bags. If I get around to try it out I will let you know how it turns out.
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 11:20 AM

the ear plugs work. but it can get costly
Picture of Colleen Tingey
by Colleen Tingey - Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 10:24 AM

We use golf tees. Very inexpensive and works like a charm. Make sure you don't get painted ones, though. The paint starts to flake off after a while and get into the solution. We have just plain wood ones now. No problems.
Picture of Rickie Bonner
by Rickie Bonner - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 4:27 PM

The silicone works well but you need to only put a small dab, at first I applied too much and when re-spiking the bag, it would clog the tubing!
Picture of Patricia Bedell-Pulito
by Patricia Bedell-Pulito - Wednesday, December 18, 2013, 6:25 AM

I have never heard of silicone that could be "dabbed." Please tell me where to get this. I have been using small hemostats to reuse IV bags
Picture of KC Pullen
by KC Pullen - Monday, June 8, 2015, 3:14 PM

I have good luck using red dead end caps. They twist on and off.  Over time they will loosen so store IV bags upright.

Picture of Colleen Tingey
by Colleen Tingey - Monday, June 8, 2015, 3:52 PM

We use golf tees to plug our IV bags.  They work like a charm.  I would recommend unpainted wood or plastic.  We had painted wood tees and the paint started to flake off into the solution over time.

Someone else recently told me they use parafilm.  That way you can have the bag hanging when you spike it, which you can't with the golf tees.

Picture of Jenn Gable
by Jenn Gable - Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 9:23 AM

Anyone know the type of silicone?  Like the kind for sealing in bathrooms and around sinks?