Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Crissy Hunter
Simulation vs. Clinical Time
by Crissy Hunter - Monday, February 4, 2013, 2:52 PM

Hi there,

I am doing a research study on nursing programs utilizing simulation.

**Are simulation experiences replacing clinical time? If so, by how much (10%, 25%, 50%)?
**How are simulation hours calculated in comparison to real clinical time (2:1, 1:1).
**Do students rotate through simulation like they rotate through other clinical sites (i.e. 2 weeks simulation in a row)?
**Do students receive simulation throughout their curriculum, or just in certain courses?

I would appreciate any help with this study?
Please email me
chunter@sheridan.edu

Picture of Laurie Pufpaff
Re: Simulation vs. Clinical Time
by Laurie Pufpaff - Monday, February 4, 2013, 4:16 PM

Are simulation experiences replacing clinical time? If so, by how much (10%, 25%, 50%)? Not in all courses but in some of them yes. For example in our OB course we have a OB simulation in the first 2 weeks of the course to prepare them for clinical. They observe/practice different types of delivery situations and also practice NBN assessment and VS on SimNewbie.
**How are simulation hours calculated in comparison to real clinical time (2:1, 1:1). This varies by course and is dependent upon actual clinical sites available.
**Do students rotate through simulation like they rotate through other clinical sites (i.e. 2 weeks simulation in a row)? no
**Do students receive simulation throughout their curriculum, or just in certain courses? Simulation is threaded throughout the curriculum and is in all but 1 of our courses right now. this course will have simulation in the next few months.

Hope this helps Chrissy. If you have any more questions feel free to call or email me.

Laurie A Pufpaff, RN, MSN/ED

Assistant Professor of Nursing

Simulation Coordinator

Faculty Senator

Greenville Technical College

Office 230 Barton Campus

864-250-8433

laurie.pufpaff@gvltec.edu

Picture of Debbie Higgins
by Debbie Higgins - Monday, February 4, 2013, 6:07 PM

Hi Chrissy,
I work in an ADN program at a community college in NC. We are not replacing clinical with simulation; We pull out 1-2 students from each clinical group one time during the semester for a simulation rotation. The NC Board of nursing does allow for 1:1 simulation:clinical.

Simulation is incorporated into every course so the students have one simulation day each course. I worked with the course coordinator to develop simulation scenarios that compliment course material. For example in fundamentals, we run a simple insulin/diabetic education scenario. In the last course we run a full code scenario.

Our program has 7 courses. We average 6 clinical sections each course which equals about 42 simulations per semester; this is done with 1.5 FTE.

Good luck with your research!
Debbie
Picture of Alicia Lentz
by Alicia Lentz - Tuesday, February 5, 2013, 12:21 PM

Crissy,

I am the administrator (and faculty member) of a Practical nursing program and utilize high fidelity simulation with my program in a variety of ways.

Are simulation experiences replacing clinical time? If so, by how much (10%, 25%, 50%)?
We replaced several hopsital days with simulaiton days, but also utilze the lab for open practice and for specific labs as part of a course. PN programs have a high percentage of hours devoted to clinical and it is hard to estimate, but I would say between 10-20% changed form out traditional method to using simulaiton.

**How are simulation hours calculated in comparison to real clinical time (2:1, 1:1). We
are approved as a clock hour program, so we are currently counting our hours 1:1

**Do students rotate through simulation like they rotate through other clinical sites (i.e. 2 weeks simulation in a row)? Our simulation days are spread out over the clincal schedule. The students have a simulation day every few weeks of their med surg time and only twice durign the maternity/peds rotation. Not usually "in a row"
**Do students receive simulation throughout their curriculum, or just in certain courses? We use throughout our curriculum (a 48 week program) - fundamentals mainly is practice of skills and limited simulaiton and increasies in complexity over the year.

Hope this is helpful,

Alicia B. Lentz, MSN, RN Coordinator of Practical Nursing

Mifflin Juniata Career and Technology Center Practical Nursing Program

Lewistown, PA 17044

www.mjctcpn.org

email: alentz@mjctcpn.org

Picture of kathee  long
by kathee long - Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 5:46 PM

We are having a debate on how much sim time = clinical time. I am not a big fan of a 1:1 ratio but can be persuded. smile However, I would like to know how a 12 hour clinical day can be broken up? I have some ideas but 12 hours seems like such a daunting task for students to endure! I am also curious what your states say about ratios, if anything. Kansas doesn't specifiy anything right now.

Thanks!