Simulation Research

Picture of Crissy Hunter
Simulation vs. Clinical Time
by Crissy Hunter - Monday, February 4, 2013, 2:51 PM
Hi there,

I am doing a research study on nursing programs utilizing simulation.

**Are simulation experiences replacing clinical time? If so, by how much (10%, 25%, 50%)?
**How are simulation hours calculated in comparison to real clinical time (2:1, 1:1).
**Do students rotate through simulation like they rotate through other clinical sites (i.e. 2 weeks simulation in a row)?
**Do students receive simulation throughout their curriculum, or just in certain courses?

I would appreciate any help with this study?
Please email me
Picture of Tammie Rumsey
Re: Simulation vs. Clinical Time
by Tammie Rumsey - Friday, February 22, 2013, 3:14 PM

Hi there Crissy.

I am also working on a project involving utilization of simulation in nursing education programs. If you find out anything on this subject, I would also be interested in the information. Good luck.

Picture of Michael Young
Re: Simulation vs. Clinical Time
by Michael Young - Monday, May 19, 2014, 11:03 AM
We have been participating in a nation-wide study that is based around a 50% clinical load in simulation activities. The state of Texas BON allows up to 50% outside of traditional clinical hours to be spent in a variety of activities that can include simulation, multimedia etc. However, they have not stated that all of the 50% SHOULD be in simulation.

The study we are working on will help justify simulation as an alternative for at least part of the clinical hours required. We are now in the final analysis phase of the project, so you will be seeing some very rich data on this topic very soon.