Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Martha Hepler
Student Simulations
by Martha Hepler - Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 4:04 PM

Our students currently utilize task trainers and Virtual IV for IV training and phlebotomy procedures. Every year, they beg us to let them perform these procedures on each other. We considered devising a policy and consent form to allow this to occur under the direct supervision of a faculty member (without infusing any fluids, medication or anything to that effect). My question is, does anyone out there allow this to occur in their labs? If so, would you have a policy, procedure and/or consent form you would be willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Picture of Michelle Marko
Re: Student Simulations
by Michelle Marko - Tuesday, January 22, 2013, 6:05 PM

I am located in Ohio and our program looked into this possibility in the past. We were told at the time that we are not permitted to have students perform invasive procedures such as IV sticks unless we had a physician overseeing our program, which we do not. I have no idea where that policy originated from or if it's still valid but just thought I would share. I would question the benefit versus potential risk, not just regarding harm to the client/student but also following appropriate protocols based on blood borne pathogen exposure, OSHA requirements, etc.