Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Martha Hepler
Recording Student Scenarios
by Martha Hepler - Thursday, January 3, 2013, 8:03 PM

Hi, everyone. I am currently working to initiate the use of a new AV-recording system for our simulated student experiences. We are in the process of determining what, if any, access we will give students in terms of these recordings. What access do you allow for your students in terms of viewing these recordings after the sessions are over? We have the option to only allow faculty to view them, allow students to view on campus or to allow students to view at home or on campus. Of course, they will only be able to view videos they are tagged in, but we still have some concerns regarding FERPA. We do have a simulation contract that discusses confidentiality of experiences as well as videos. However, is this enough? What are your thoughts on video and student access? I appreciate any guidance.

Martha Hepler

Picture of Jen Atteberry
Re: Recording Student Scenarios
by Jen Atteberry - Thursday, January 10, 2013, 2:37 AM

Martha

We use the recording equipment in the lab only.  We many times place the recorded simulated experience on DVD, then have the students watch themselves on the computer in the lab area.  After this the DVD is destroyed. Also, we can archive for faculty only use.  This is put onto a secure server by our IT department. I do not let students have access nor do they get to take a DVD with them.  All devices such as smartphones ect. have to be placed in a container prior to the simulated experience and are left there if the students are viewing the DVD to help prevent students from recording off of the dvd they are watching. 

Jen Atteberry