Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of crystal whitehouse
Simulated Protonix for reconstitution
by crystal whitehouse - Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 10:39 AM

Has anyone found anything that can be used as powder form protonix that can be reconstituted without buying the demo-dose products.  Looking for something we can make ourselves. 

Picture of Rebecca Reed
Re: Simulated Protonix for reconstitution
by Rebecca Reed - Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 11:15 AM

I use the demi dose vials, and would love an alternative.  Until recently we were able to get vials and carpujets of saline from our pharmacy to make our mock meds.  The company has stopped making them and I am at a loss as to where to get new 2 mL vials of saline and carpujets.  Any suggestions?
by crystal whitehouse - Wednesday, August 8, 2012, 12:00 PM

We were able to order some for this semester but from what I am hearing from our local hospital and suppliers, the carpujects are hard to come by.  We make up our own labels on the printer and tape them to the carpujects now and have looked into getting ampules for next semester.  Our local hospital is seeing much more use of ampules in the last year.  We have the clear plastic vials with rubber stoppers in the cap that we can add our our mixes into and have thought about a bit of pixy stick candy then the students can add the reconsitutent.  I haven't tried it yet, I do know that powder and corn starch do not work.   
by crystal whitehouse - Monday, November 19, 2012, 11:18 AM

We have now found that powered countrytime lemonade works perfect. The student are loving being able to reconstitute in the lab.