Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Lisa Hill
Preparing for Scenarios on the fly
by Lisa Hill - Saturday, August 4, 2012, 6:51 AM

Can anyone give me an idea of how much time you are spending regarding setting up a scenario that you run on the fly?  For example an OB post partum where the Simman body has to be converted to pregnant female with clothiing, iv moulage for a boggy fundus, bladder prepped for distention etc? Also need to include setting up medications etc.  We do not have a designated sim lab so this is having to be done several days in advance and left along with another scenario for another disease process. I am not in the lab all the time so when I come back to do the scenario everything has to be checked and some things redone because people tend to change the manakins when they are not in use, take speakers, props etc to utilize in the other labs going on.

I come into the lab from being in clinicals for 10 hrs the day before and am expected to run this starting at 8 am.  Do you build time into your schedules for routine maintenance, downtime, failure during scenarioo etc?  I am only one person and I can't seem to get across the fact that this is not just a go in and do it job!  I'd appreciate your input and ideas regarding communication of time needed for scenario preperation, writing and tweeking canned scenarios etc.

Thanks]

Lisa Hill , RN  Sim Lab Coord. BRTC

lisa.hill@blackrivertech.org

Picture of Debbie Higgins
Re: Preparing for Scenarios on the fly
by Debbie Higgins - Saturday, August 4, 2012, 10:19 AM

Lisa, good heavens, one person should not be expected to do all of that! I am the coordinator of our sim lab and that is 70% of my job. The rest of my time is spent helping with skills lab so I am there daily seeing what is going on.
It does take 1-2 hours to get everything ready for the sim lab. One thing I have done is made a box for each sim lab scenario and then when it is time for that scenario, all I have to do is grab the box for "stan checketts" and everything I need is in there. That has saved a lot of time, however it is time consuming on the front end to get it ready.

Here is one idea for you. Have the students come in at 8:00 and do research on their "patient" for the day. This would be similar to what they need to know for clinical. I made up a form and it is the "admission ticket" and the students have to have it completed in order to come into the simlab. It really helps them to be prepared. From 8:00-9:00 or how ever long you need to set up, the students could be doing research on their "patient" and you have time to get ready for them. I am in NC and we are allowed to count this as clinical time as long as they do the research on campus.

Good luck with your many hats!
Debbie
Picture of Angela Goodridge
Re: Preparing for Scenarios on the fly
by Angela Goodridge - Saturday, August 4, 2012, 12:36 PM

That's a lot, but I also experience preparing scenarios on the fly, would be good to see what other write,