Simulation Research

Picture of Gloria Dunham
prebriefing
by Gloria Dunham - Monday, July 23, 2012, 11:17 AM

Hello, everyone,
I'm looking for articles that discuss a pre-briefing session prior to the simulated patient experience. There are many articles that discuss the debriefing session and it's contribution to learning, but nothing much about pre-briefing. Our students tell me that they've learned so much more during the simulation if we've spent time pre-briefing the simulation... reviewing the patient condition, possible complications, etc. Of course, we don't discuss the actual simulation, but we do review questions that they've had time to answer, medications, disease processes, etc. Thanks in advance!
Gloria

Picture of Michael Young
Re: prebriefing
by Michael Young - Monday, May 19, 2014, 11:09 AM

Hello Gloria,

I was just perusing the research forum on the SIRC website and have a question for all: Isn't "prebriefing" really "briefing"?

In many centers these words are being used interchangeably for the same thing. Some sites even confuse it further by using the word "orientation" for the same thing.

Has anyone explored these terms and found a distinction? I believe that orientation is something different than briefing, but what about the difference between prebrief and brief?

Michael