Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Jen Atteberry
Clinic versus Simulation hours
by Jen Atteberry - Friday, June 29, 2012, 4:09 PM

I am wondering what equivalences colleges and universities are using for simulation time used for clinic.  I  have been told and seen in research 1 hour of Sim equals 3 hours of clinic.  My colleague states it is 1 hour for 1 hour.  If anyone could tell me what you are using I would appreciate it as this will be the first time this curriculum is using three specific days for simulation.

Thank you

Jen Atteberry

Bemidji State University

Assistant Professor and Lab Coordinator

Bemidji Mn 56601

jatteberry@bemidjistate.edu

Picture of Dawn Watson
Re: Clinic versus Simulation hours
by Dawn Watson - Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 2:09 PM

Our college uses each simulation hour as one hour of clinical. Approximately 20 to 25% of clinical time is spent in simulation each semester. I have asked several universities in our area and they stated this was a reasonable amount in their judgement.

Picture of Michael Brown
Re: Clinic versus Simulation hours
by Michael Brown - Tuesday, July 17, 2012, 4:18 PM

Coming from INASCL in San Antonio, it seems that a 1:1 ratio for simulation to clinical is beyond what the majority of others across the nation are doing. From the speakers at the INASCL conference, the ratio was anywhere from 0.5-0.75 hrs clinical /1hour sim because the simulation activity is more intense and requiring the nurse to act with more autonomy than in most clinical situations. Our University is struggling to find an acceptable ratio for simulation and has yet to standardize this issue.