Equipment Issues

Picture of Eileen Sikinger
Trach care. Need help please
by Eileen Sikinger - Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 12:29 PM

How can I fill the lungs with water without it running to the back and outside of the manikins but still be able to simulate suctioning the trach? Very frustrating. I don't want to get the wires inside the manikins wet.

Eileen Sikinger
SCC
Nursing Instructor

Picture of Michelle Sherlin
Re: Trach care. Need help please
by Michelle Sherlin - Thursday, February 16, 2012, 1:56 PM

I wouldn't use water. I would put a balloon securely onto the end of the trach apparatus itself (fasten with wire ties or rubber bands) and use water based lubricant squirted into the trach at the neck.
Picture of Eileen Sikinger
by Eileen Sikinger - Thursday, February 16, 2012, 4:11 PM

The manikin has two rubber balloons and each are tied and fastened. I use dishwashing liquid and water and pour in each lung as stated by the laerdal manual but it makes a mess and ends up leaking towards the back of the manikin. I've tried all different ways so as not to have it leak. I thought someone on the site might have similar problems. All 4 manikins have this problem, it must be my technique. I finally called the rep. and he is going to help me figure this out tomorrow. I'll post it in case someone else has the same problem. I love this site, very informative. Thanks for your help.

Eileen
Picture of Theresa Williams
by Theresa Williams - Saturday, September 29, 2012, 6:39 AM

We have the Laerdal Nursing Anne and I do use the same method as you have described for filling the lungs. I have better luck if I do not put more than 120cc's in each lung.
Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Saturday, January 12, 2013, 6:58 AM

HI Eileen,

I have done the same with our Vital Sim Mannequins but I make a special secretion formula for various patient presentations.  I have never had any problem with leakage if the wire ties connecting the lung part to the tube is very secure, and you dont overfill the lungs.  Our "anatomy" tends to be right dominant, so the students typicall only suction from the right side, and eventually fluid overfills to the other anyway with their bagging attempts.  I only fill one lung with the secretion mixture of choice.  And being OCD, I did wrap my internal wire connections securely with plastic wrap in the off chance there would be a leak....all the connections I check and clean every 8 weeks for maintenance and cleaning. Never had a problem. (knock on wood)wink.

Wendy Grbach, MSN, RN, CCRN, CLNC

Curriculum Devloper for SIimulation Education

UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing

Pittsburgh, PA

grbachwj@upmc.edu