Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Melissa Morris
Orientation to Simulation
by Melissa Morris - Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 12:37 PM
Does anyone have any supportive documents regarding orienting students to the simulation laboratory? I have been searching CINAHL, PUBMED, GOOGLE Scholar and ERIC and have come up short. I have created an orientation program for our Simulation lab that includes a PowerPoint introduction, followed by hands on time that includes taking vital signs of the simulators, and a treasure hunt for supplies, that includes accessing the medication administration cart and removing a medication as well as finding a specific supply.I have found lots of information on orientation in general, but I am looking for information specifically for orientation of entry level nursing students to the simulation laboratory.
Picture of Janet Willhaus
Re: Orientation to Simulation
by Janet Willhaus - Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 1:32 PM

Hi Melissa,

Perhaps you should consider publishing an article about the need for initial orientation? There is a script for introducing students to a SimMan under the Free Resources and Downloads on this website. I had programmed ours to introduce himself automatically by recording the sound bytes used to guide the students and using features such as pulse check, etc. to move the programming forward.

Janet Willhaus

Picture of Suzie Kardong-Edgren
by Suzie Kardong-Edgren - Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 10:36 PM

There is a very short but excellent article that might be of interest to you in press in Clinical Simulation in Nursing. The author filmed and put up on YouTube the orientation to the simulators in her department. All students and faculty are required to watch them prior to coming. We know from research and anecdotally that students are very nervous about coming to simulation initially and the COGNITIVE LOAD is very high for them. So having them read something, see something, hear something, and then still do a full orientation the first few times they go in, is time well spent, to decrease this cognitive load, and start learning in simulation, rather than trying to survive simulation.

There is an article everyone teaching in simulation should read. We forget how terrifying clinical first was, and simulation is really no different. It is Walton, J., Chute, E., Ball, L. (2011). Negotiating the role of the professional nurse; A grounded theory study. Journal of Professional Nursing, 27(5), 299-310.

Suzie Kardong-Edgren

Picture of Melissa Morris
by Melissa Morris - Thursday, December 1, 2011, 8:01 AM
Thank you.
Picture of Robbie Stefanski
by Robbie Stefanski - Thursday, December 1, 2011, 12:06 PM

Thanks so much for this information!  I searched the you tube article but can't seem to locate it.  Do you know the name of it?

Robbie Stefanski

Picture of A Sehmel
by A Sehmel - Tuesday, April 16, 2013, 8:37 PM

Could it be this?

Thanks everyone for your work. Hi Katie A!

Andrea Sehmel

Grays Harbor College

Aberdeen, WA