Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Crissy Hunter
Simulating a Accucheck???
by Crissy Hunter - Wednesday, October 26, 2011, 11:45 AM

Anyone done this and willing to share?

Picture of Linda Earwood
Re: Simulating a Accucheck???
by Linda Earwood - Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 2:21 PM

I have done this and the students love it. Supplies needed: finger cot, cotton balls, red coloring, coke, graduated cylinder and water. I get a cotton ball and pull it apart and dip it in a solution of 1 part coke/6-10 parts water (dilute to a range that will give you desired reading WNL - high) and red dye supplied by the manufacture (food coloring may stain). lay the moist cotton over the finger tip, cover with finger cot and done. They can now poke, squeeze and test. Students love it and the faculty love having them be able to interpret data. Good Luck!
Picture of Cheryl Landis
by Cheryl Landis - Tuesday, November 1, 2011, 9:42 PM

Thanks Linda for sharing this technique. As a side note, I think I heard you speak at the NLN conference in Phila about 2 years ago. Did you share a technique that simulates membranes rupturing when Nicole gives birth?? If so, can you review that for me?
Picture of Linda shubert
by Linda shubert - Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 6:47 AM

Oooh- if you have a technique for simulating rupturing membrane, I too would be interested!
Picture of Maryellen Schultz
by Maryellen Schultz - Wednesday, November 2, 2011, 11:33 AM

Wow! What a great idea, I cannot wait to try it!

Thanks. Maryellen Schultz, Palomar college

Picture of Leann Laubach
by Leann Laubach - Saturday, December 3, 2011, 11:35 AM

We did that with our DKA scenario and it worked great! We didn't have a finger cot, so we used tegaderm and it worked well to keep the cotton ball in place. We did have some problems getting our glucometer to read something other than HIGH, so we still need to work on the concentration.

It also occurred to us that if we wanted the students to do multiple readings we could put different concentrations on different fingers (with instructions on which finger to poke).

Picture of Theresa Dember-Neal
by Theresa Dember-Neal - Monday, December 5, 2011, 10:37 AM

That is a great idea!!!!! Thank you!!!