Equipment Issues

Picture of Joyce Howard
Loaning out and transporting Manikins
by Joyce Howard - Thursday, September 29, 2011, 12:56 PM

We have been asked by a faculty member to allow our $45,000 METI manikin to leave the building and transported to another building for a simulation. My questions are: 1) Do you allow this to occur? 2) If you do, do you have someone from the simulation lab accompany the manikin and computer? 3) Do you have a policy for allowing or not allowing this activity and would you be willing to share? For background, we have four (4) simulation rooms and two (2) METI IStan manikins to use. Thank you.

Joyce Howard, RN, MSN, NE-BC, CPHQ

Clinical Simulation Coordinator

Ila Faye Miller School of Nursing and Health Professions Center for

Innovative Research and Clinical Learning

University of the Incarnate Word

San Antonio, TX

Office 210-832-5617

Picture of Jodi Nelson
Re: Loaning out and transporting Manikins
by Jodi Nelson - Thursday, September 29, 2011, 2:23 PM

Joyce,

1) We do allow this to occur in certain ways. We have an ECS adult and an ESC child from METI and I have taken both out of the building. We have a total of 8 simulators. I have transported both in a van and taken both to other parts of the building. I put the adult on a long board and put the child in a golf bag with wheels. The computers go in a seperate bag.

2) I am the one that takes them out and I am the simulation coordinator from the college. We won't allow anyone else but myself and the Dean of Educational Technology take them out at this time. We don't have a formal policy about this. We have learned that we can only transport them in organization vehicles because personal auto insurance would likely not cover to replace them.

I would ask this colleague why she wants it transported out of the area simulation is usualy conducted in. Perhaps s/he wants a different setting that would add to the fidelity of the scenario. I have thought about taking the adult out of the hospital and making a homeless setting in which the students could do outreach community nursing.

As long as a qualified person is along to ensure the safety I see no problem. The mannequins are made to be used and learned from. If this enhances the simulation, it would be a plus for the students. Let me know what you decide! Let me know if I can help further also and feel free to contact me off site.

Jodi A. Nelson, MSN, RN, CNE

Simulated Learning Coordinator and Assistant Professor

BryanLGH College of Health Sciences

Lincoln, NE

jodi.nelson@bryanlghcollege.edu

Picture of Vanessa Kramasz
Re: Loaning out and transporting Manikins
by Vanessa Kramasz - Thursday, September 29, 2011, 2:34 PM

If it's a faculty member that I know, I do not have a problem with it. And I probably would not go with the mannequin unless the other faculty does not know how to use it. Then I would operate the system. I guess I would need to know the purpose/objectives, the length of time, date/time and the faculty.

Our IStan is made to be portable, however he weighs 250 #'s and cannot easily sit in a wheelchair/car. I have a good relationship with our EMS faculty and they use an old EMS gurney and van to transport the mannequin for me. I have taken our mannequin to health fairs, schools and other buildings without any difficulty. I do not have a formal policy on this.