Simulation Settings and Specialties

Picture of Lauren Harrison
Cultural Simulation
by Lauren Harrison - Friday, September 16, 2011, 12:42 PM

Hello - I am a new nursing lab coordinator updating our library of scenerios.  We are looking for a cultural scenerio to use with first semester nursing students. If anyone has any to share, it would be much appreciated!
Thank you,

Lauren Harrison

Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: Cultural Simulation
by vickie valenziano - Friday, September 16, 2011, 7:33 PM

I haven't seen a scenario for only culture, but it is easy to incorporate this into any scenario. Ones appropriate for first semester include 1) dietary needs - incorporating the patient's food practices when teaching the patient about low salt diet, or high fiber diet, or diet for a diabetic patient; 2) discussing care of the patient with the appropriate family member based on their cultural practices (having a student play a family member who makes decisions for the patient); 3) males caring for female patients and how to problem-solve this issue, etc. I try to choose a culture that is prevalent in their clinical area so they can hopefully apply this during their clinical time.

Hope these ideas help.

Vickie Valenziano
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Cuesta College
San Luis Obispo, CA
Picture of Cathy Peterson
by Cathy Peterson - Monday, September 19, 2011, 2:56 PM

We have done that also with some of our scenarios. We have one scenario that is a Hispanic ESL patient with a post-op sepsis focus for our inpatient staff. We have quite a large Hispanic population so this is very appropriate for our staff to focus on. Hope this helps!
Picture of Trevor Nicely
by Trevor Nicely - Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 11:14 AM

I custom designed a curriculum of scenarios for Tacoma Community College this spring for their pilot program called Internationally Educated Nurses (IEN). The college started the program under grant to help aid new US residents who were nurses in their home country get registered in the USA. The course is a year long program with scenarios throughout. The simulation curriculum was made up of common scenarios in Nursing Education with a focus on religious, sex/race, language barriers, and different communication facets. The scenarios were designed with a nurse educator from India whom is an expert in foreign nursing education.

These scenarios are designed to assess the student's skills in certain interventions and focus on the Nurse-Patient relationship through communication skills.

I agree that it's relatively easy to "inject" some cultural aspects in to any scenario. Depending on the simulation audience though- it may require some special creativity. This particular program was unique in that there were people from all over the world with various levels of exposure to modern nursing skills. Also, working with native English speaking patients was a focus for some of the cohort as every student had a different background of cultural behaviors, education, and work experience. Let me know if I can help or share any experiences with you.

Thanks,

Trevor Nicely

www.nwsimtech.com

Picture of Lauren Harrison
by Lauren Harrison - Thursday, September 22, 2011, 11:58 AM

Hi Trevor:
These sounds great. Would you be able to send me one to look at to see how you set it up to adapt it for what our professor is looking for?
Thank you much,

Lauren Harrison

lharriso@endicott.edu

Picture of Joan Fedor-Bassemier
by Joan Fedor-Bassemier - Thursday, September 22, 2011, 2:27 PM

Would you be able to share one of your scenarios?  We do have a Jewish minority and Immigrants from India in our area.  Thank you
Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 3:36 PM

I would also like a copy of one if possible. Thank you.

vickie_valenziano@cuesta.edu