Simulation Research

Picture of Brian Halpern
Simulation learning theory
by Brian Halpern - Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 4:15 PM

I am in the process of working on my Graduate degree. Yes yes... sigh... Not all of my hair has gone gray nor have I gone bald.. hahahhaha

I am researching adult learning theories as part I am preparing to look at my Masters project. What if any theories have you used and how have you applied them to Hospital based simulation. There is a massive amount of articles on nursing school environments as well as use of simulation for medical practice. I have not seem much on simulation usage within a hospital.
Thanks
Brian Halpern RN BSN MNc

Picture of Cathy Peterson
Re: Simulation learning theory
by Cathy Peterson - Tuesday, May 3, 2011, 4:51 PM

You might try looking into simulation as a tool for multidisciplinary team training in a hospital setting and see if you get anything there on a literature search. I think there are lots of studies done to determine the efficacy of simulation relatedĀ to patient safety and communication breakdown.

Cathy PetersonĀ 

Picture of laura gonzalez
by laura gonzalez - Tuesday, June 28, 2011, 2:46 PM

The TeamStepps approach/ Framework is very useful for IPE.
Picture of vickie slot
by vickie slot - Tuesday, June 7, 2011, 11:03 PM

Hello!

Best to you in your master's work. I just moved from an academic position of many years to a hospital simulation educator, so I can appreciate the paucity of articles for healthcare application. Try NNSDO and critical care journals. As for theory, same theories should apply in either setting: Adult learning theory, Kolb's experiential learning, Benner, Bandura, and some newer ones are discussed in the Journal for Simulation in Healthcare by SSH. Masters work is all about theory!

I agree with Cathy that much of the work is in crew/crisis resource management, safety culture, quality and safety (CAUTI's and Central line infections), emerging critical incidents.

Good luck to you.
Vickie Slot
Spectrum Health- Grand Rapids, Michigan
Picture of annette conklin
by annette conklin - Friday, September 30, 2011, 4:18 PM

Hi Brian,

I can sympathisize; I am currently working on my dissertation. I am using Pamela Jeffries' framework on simulation learning. Benner is another theorist that may be applicable. I have seen articles on the use of simulation in hospitals as part of nursing competencies. The hospitals are part of collaboratives with a local college or university and address multiple disciplines. Nursing Education Perspectives have had several articles on the topic. Good Luck to you.

Annette Conklin, MSN, RN, OCN, CNE

Holy Family University

Philadelphia, PA

casey419@comcast.net