Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Cathy Peterson
Contact hours for simulation
by Cathy Peterson - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 5:17 PM

DOes anyone have any information on writing nursing contact hours for simulation? Appreciate any info on this!

Thanks, 

Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
Re: Contact hours for simulation
by Marjorie Scheikl - Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 6:58 AM

Hi--
Our state simulation alliance submitted a proposal of guidance to our state board and the board of nursing presented a final simulation guideline.

We get 1:1 (one hour sim for one hour clinical)---

If you would like to see the official board document-- just send me your email.

Sincerely,
Marjie
Picture of Joyce Howard
by Joyce Howard - Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 11:57 AM

Does that mean that you may have the students all day in order for them to augment their hospital clinical experiences with simulation?  I find that the simulation experience for both the students is usually more intensive than the experience they have in the hospital.  I have had many of our nursing students state that the task, actions, etc that they have in simulation they never have in the hospital setting.  My state (TX) so far has not delineated guidelines or the hours in simulation  and how it will equal to the hospital clinical experience hours (at least I am aware of).

Joyce

Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 12:39 PM

We use 1:2 ratio.  1 hour of sim is equal to 2 hours of clinical at our institution.

Susan

by Marjorie Scheikl - Saturday, April 30, 2011, 8:26 AM

Hello. I noticed you have a 2:1 ratio. What state are you in? Is this institution only or state? For BSN/RN program students are required to have 500 clinical contact hours. We can substitute a portion of those hours for simulation (if the experience meets the state boards definition of a simulation) at a ratio of 1: 1.

Sincerely,
Marjie
Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Saturday, April 30, 2011, 1:56 PM

Hello,

I am in the State of Texas.   Our school goes beyond the required clinical hours needed without simulation and as you can see our board states:  http://www.bne.state.tx.us/practice/position.html#15.26.  There is no ratio noted but it does give us the flexibility to assign reasonable hours for student prep time, scenario engaged timeframe, and post debriefing time.  All together the students are given an hour to prep (pre/quizes & exercises), 1 hour to complete the scenario (includes-RN TO RN change over, scenario, documentation after the scenario), an hour for post (quiz/exercise), 45 minutes for debriefing.  It is a process but never substitues for the clinical site.  We have an ADN program,  an LVN and LVN-RN transition program, and EMT/Paramedic program.  What state are you in?

Susan

by Marjorie Scheikl - Saturday, April 30, 2011, 8:51 AM

Hi Joyce,

Our program continues to have students doing over the required 500 clinical contact hours needed for the RN but beyond that we offer simulations in most undergraduate courses. The students do not spend the day in the simulation lab. They usually prepare for and experience one 20 minute simulation ( or 45 minute depending on the student level/course) and then a 40 min debriefing period. Our board allows prep time to be included in the sim time. Students typically have to do a patient data sheet, readings etc..

IF a program wanted to give simulation in lieu of required clinical contact hours, they would need to abide by the state defined simulation guidelines.

Sincerely,
Marjie
Picture of Cathy Peterson
by Cathy Peterson - Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 12:31 PM

To clarify my initial question, I am looking for CNE hours - Continuing Nursing Education hours that RN's can use toward their need for continuing education. Any ideas on how to apply simulation to CNE's? Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Cathy Peterson

Simulation Faculty

St. Luke's Health System

Boise, Idaho

by Marjorie Scheikl - Saturday, April 30, 2011, 8:52 AM

Hi Cathy,
Our clinical practice partners at the local hospital are working with simulation but have not looked into CNE hours. This is a good idea and I think you might pursue this further.

Sincerely,
Marjie