Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Laurie Dorsey
Petechiae
by Laurie Dorsey - Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 2:17 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to simulate Petechiae?

Thanks Laurie D

Picture of Teressa Wexler
Re: Petechiae
by Teressa Wexler - Monday, April 25, 2011, 8:55 PM

It will take a little patience but I use fruit roll ups or the rolled up dried fruit snacks and pull off small pieces with a pair of regular tweezers of the strawberry flavor (for the red color) and press the very small pieces on the manakin's skin.  It pulls right off later without damaging the skin.  I only leave it on for the scenario and have not left it on long term as I am not sure if the dye will fade into the simulator.

Thanks,

Teressa Wexler

Picture of Megan McClintock
by Megan McClintock - Monday, April 25, 2011, 9:58 PM

I have used a lip pencil before. Easy to use and easy to clean off.

Megan
Picture of Laurie Dorsey
by Laurie Dorsey - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 7:52 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions.
Picture of Theresa Dember-Neal
by Theresa Dember-Neal - Monday, May 2, 2011, 1:03 PM

Using a fine paint brush and Laerdal simulated blood works very well also. Sounds like some of you are having as much fun as I am with mulage!big grin

Theresa

Picture of Stephanie O'Regan
by Stephanie O'Regan - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 12:44 AM

I use diabetic jelly (I think you call it Jello in the US) crystals, either the dark cherry or a mix of blue and red. Diabetic because they are very fine without the large sugar crystals. Dampen the skin and sprinkle them on in clumps or very finely if you just want a beginning rash. They will dissolve as they hit the damp manikin skin, just allow the skin to dry and it is easily washed off after. Takes all up about 2 mins to do. A packet of jelly crystals lasts months, and there is no sticky residue either. I sometimes sprinkle the jelly crystals straight onto adhesive film (like opsite) and stick it straight on and this peels off easily.

Cheers
Stephanie
Picture of Theresa Dember-Neal
by Theresa Dember-Neal - Monday, May 2, 2011, 1:09 PM

The Laerdal simulated Blood works wonders and does not stain. Moisten a fine tipped paint brush squeeze extra moisture out of the brush to shape the point. Blot to remove extra blood to keep the dots small. Then create all the petechiae you desire!big grin

Theresa