Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Susan Olson
Ratio of Clinical Hours to Simulation Hours
by Susan Olson - Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 2:10 PM

I know this subject has been mentioned before, but I am doing some investigation to determine if anyone is using a ratio that is different than a 1:1 ratio (1 clinical hour = 1 simulation hour).  Any help would be appreciated!

Susan Olson, R.N., M.S.N.

Simulation Lab Coordinator

Associate Degree Nursing
McLennan Community College
1400 College Drive
Waco, TX 76708
254 299-8744 (Office)

254-299-8747 (Fax)

We use a 1:1 ratio clinical:simulation, and also for other labs.  As the simulation faculty person I do get extra time for setting up and taking down simulations. 

Denise Maxwell, MS, RN
Nursing Lab Coordinator, Asst Professor
Trinity College of Nursing & Health Sciences
2122-25 Avenue, Rock Island, IL  61201
(309) 779-7789
Picture of kathee  long
Re: Ratio of Clinical Hours to Simulation Hours
by kathee long - Tuesday, February 26, 2013, 5:55 PM

I would like the answer as well! I would like to have a ratio of 1:2 on the basis that much of clinical time is "down time" and not actual effective learning time. My state doesn't specify anything but I am afraid my director will insist on 1:1. Obviously, we can't do sim for 12 hours, so i would love suggestions/ideas on how to use the time effectively.

Picture of Diana Breed
Re: Ratio of Clinical Hours to Simulation Hours
by Diana Breed - Thursday, February 28, 2013, 1:25 PM
I agree that there is more intense time during simulation so a 2:1 seems more appropriate. I am going to bring it up during the next faculty meeting. I do know that we count the pre/post work as part of their clinical day including documentation.

Good morning. Starting this semester our faculty are reserving the simulation lab for a day of "clinical". We do 12 hour clinical in most areas. As mentioned we can't do a 12 hour day...not enough faculty to run simulators and so on. We do count pre and post work as time toward the clinical experience. What is the common student ratio for having a simulation clinical experience? My thoughts are 1 hour of clinical time = 2 hours of simulation time. But, I haven't found any consistant answers.

Hello all,

We use a ratio of 2:1 at my institution and include Simulation Preparation in as well. For instance for 8 hours of clinical we have three hours for Sim and 1 for preparation (Concept Map, Patho card, Diagnostic study and Medication Sheet for each Sim). Our students are in groups of 6-8 and with my current class it has taken three weeks to get everyone through but they have learned from it.

Karen Walton, MSN, RN

Wallace State Community College

Hanceville, AL