Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of kathy gendron
Electronic Health Records/informatics/EMR
by kathy gendron - Saturday, April 16, 2011, 1:09 PM
We are in the process of looking at various programs to implement EHR into our nursing simulation. Does anyone have any information to share regarding what you are using and how you like it? Greatly appreciated!
I use Adobe Acrobat to take word forms and creat fill in the blank sections and ddrop down menus.  Works great!!
I would be interested. What does Adobe Acrobat let you do (make the drop down boxes?). Did you develop a template based on what they were using in the local hospitals or offices?
Can you set up an EMR simulation for students using adobe acrobat X. Please give me more information. Any input would be appreciated.

We are "between" EMR systems and would like to create our own patchwork system to carry us through. I like your idea of using Adobe with word forms to do so. How time consuming was it? Is it fairly intuitive to do?

We're looking in to using the EHR program from McGraw Hill. The software is free with the adoption of the textbook. It uses Spring Charts. The students work through a variety of exercises to get them oriented to the program. It's very similar to some of the EHR they're seeing on the clinical floor. Additionally, it's completely customizable as we use several different scenarios and not just one publisher. So we (as faculty) can enter the patient in the system and the students can chart.

We haven't implemented it yet, although we're planning to next fall. We'd like to start our fundamentals students using the text to become familiar with it and then have the students chart after each check off and simulation activity.

Our students are allowed to access the EHR at one of our hospitals so they're missing a huge piece during their clinical rotations. We have them paper chart, but it's not the same experience and we're noticing a difference in our students.

We are very interested in utilizing some type of EHR for both simulations and out in the field. Our undergraduates are able to do online charting in all of the hospitals they attend but it means they have to be oriented to 3 different systems. Our NP students have no access to any EHR while in the field and that is a disadvantage.

Anyone doing anything with EHR that works for both the BSN and MSN?

Erin,  Could you give me more information about this EHR through McGraw Hill?  Is there an ISBN number?

Thanks, Debbe

Based on my research here's the link for EHR For mcgraw hill

Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
Re: Electronic Health Records/informatics/EMR
by Marjorie Scheikl - Monday, November 14, 2011, 10:54 AM

I tried twice to get information from McGraw Hill on their EHR system but never got a reply. Do you buy a site license for this software? Do all of your faculty use their text books?

We are looking into Cerner and Neehr Perfect as well.

Can you share some information on this software you referenced Cerner and Neehr. Any information would be appreciated

i found that product to be too outpatient focused, very unrealistic IMO. Pearson and Cerner have afffiliated you should check them out.

HI Laura,

Are you refering to this website:

Please tell us how this software helped you out. Please share some experience with it. Would you recommend to other schools. What did you some of its advantages and disadvantages.

Picture of Monty Gross
by Monty Gross - Friday, September 23, 2011, 3:21 PM
Our nursing program is looking into Elsevier's Simchart to incorporate into our simulation lab. After seeing a presentation from the representatives, it seems the program is being piloted by some schools. Is anyone using it and care to share their experience?
Picture of Cheryl Landis
by Cheryl Landis - Friday, September 23, 2011, 5:35 PM
Good question....I am having a meeting w/ our rep in about 3 weeks on this topic. I would love feedback on the system.
Picture of Bonnie McManus
by Bonnie McManus - Monday, December 26, 2011, 8:58 PM
I am just now looking around at the what kinds of EHR simulation software is available for a BSN Informatics course and saw this post. What was/is your impression of SimChart now? Any pricing or cost/student?

CAn anybody tell me what they think about simchart. Was it worth the worthy to the students and why. Here's the link:

Any input would be appreciated.

Picture of Mary Bailey
by Mary Bailey - Saturday, June 16, 2012, 9:32 PM
First we bought Nurse Squared- they demo'd it for us a couple of looked great, but it was a disaster from the get go for students and us alike. So we asked to get our money back, no go. So we asked to trial SimChart which was made to replace Nurse Squared. We ended up deciding that it was not going to meet our needs. We wanted some way for students to be able to document in the facilities that won't let them document which meant they had to have internet access at the facility, or write it down so they could remember and then do it electronically at home and then submit it. And it would mean getting access for all of our clinical instructors and training them on it. We didn't do it.
Picture of Linda shubert
Docu care EMR
by Linda shubert - Friday, September 7, 2012, 6:02 PM
Anyone have information or used Docu Care? We have a faculty member asking us to check it out, but can't find any info....
Picture of Katherine  Koch
Re: Docu care EMR
by Katherine Koch - Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 11:04 PM

We had the same experience with nurse squared - it was a bust. The company gave us 2 years of Sim EMR, but no one at our facility has really done much with it. We have 3 secureRX mobile carts, and they are really nice, but they don't interface with any software. In other words, if a student were going to give meds in the Sim EMR system, they would have to click out of that, click into the Secure RX system on the computer, scan the wristband, and the med, then go back into the MAR on the Sim EMR system - where the scanning wouldn't show up. The systems don't communicate with each other. I have heard that Neehr Perfect is really good, but very expensive. I am interested in Pearson's My Neighborhood hooking up with Cerners for a complete nursing education package:

If anyone knows more about this, please clue the rest of us in. Email me if you have any information about this system:

Picture of Phyllis Lauer
by Phyllis Lauer - Monday, September 26, 2011, 8:17 AM

We haven't started using it yet----however, I will start some use of it this school year.  I'm highly interested in this area and look forward to hearing more about it!

Picture of Deborah Bambini
by Deborah Bambini - Monday, September 26, 2011, 9:44 AM
We have been using the SLS with the existing EHR for 3 semesters now and the students are finding it very helpful and realistic. The SimChart EHR that is coming soon looks even better and will give us (faculty) some great flexibility.
Picture of Marianne Adoryan
by Marianne Adoryan - Thursday, January 12, 2012, 11:26 AM

Those of you who have added the EMR/EHR to your curriculum, if it is per student cost...did you add cost to tuition, place cost at textbook store, add cost to lab fees....took a hit?

Picture of Melissa Morris
by Melissa Morris - Tuesday, December 27, 2011, 2:15 PM
Has anyone had any experiences with using the Neehr EMR, or the software that accompanies the new Pocket Nurse
Demo Dose® SecureRX Mobile Medication System?

HI Melissa,

That is an expensive item for a school to buy. Was it worth the purchase?

Item Number: 06-93-MD20

Unit Price: $10,625.00
by Katherine Koch - Thursday, November 1, 2012, 5:26 PM
We have just been looking in to Neehr Perfect, because it was brought up at a conference I was at last month in Spokane. My director said it was very expensive, but the company responded that they have done away with their $20,000 fee and now it's just a student access purchase, just like a text book.

It looks really good for us, although I'm working with my other faculty to get an official demo.

Katherine Koch
Picture of Nancy Kruzik
by Nancy Kruzik - Friday, February 15, 2013, 11:28 AM

We are looking into using this system as well..will have demo in 2 weeks..hope it turns out to be what we expect..Thanks

Nancy Kruzik

HI Everyone,

Can someone tell me more about the Neehr EMR which can be found at the below website:

Hello, I'm glad to find this very interesting forum. This summer, our school of nursing has been working on a project to incorporate Academic EHR into our medical surgical curriculum for upcoming semester. After evaluating all the products that were out there, we've decided on a Sim Chart. Now we are in the process of implementation. Has anyone been using Sim Chart? We would like to know what has worked well and what problems you encountered in the beginning of implementation, also how are you using Sim Chart to get the best out of the product? Really appreciate your reply in advance. Thank you.
by Katherine Koch - Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 11:09 PM

How are you finding the Sim Chart? How is it different than the Sim EMR (if you know)? Does it come with patients/labs/orders, etc filled in already, or do you have to do all that? Have you used it for simulation or case studies (or for other student assignments)? Do you teach about it only in clinical, or do you use it for theory work also?

Thank you for any information you can share.

Kathy Koch

Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Thursday, November 1, 2012, 3:18 PM
We are looking at different types of EMR, including SimChart and Cerner. We are looking at starting it in the simlab - as part of the experience and moving it forward to clinicals after proper evaluation. Any ideas?
by Katherine Koch - Thursday, November 1, 2012, 5:31 PM
I have heard and read that Cerner has an education program that uses some of My Neighborhood as it's patients/characters. I think that's a good idea, because who has the time and energy to come up with whole scenarios and patient details on their own? On the other hand, I understood that the Cerner product was pretty expensive. We have Sim EMR with secureRX carts, but they don't work together and you have to hand enter everything into the record. We don't really use it at all. We are looking into Neehr Perfect, which has ready made pt information and can work with our secureRX carts (which are very nice).

Picture of Kristi Miller
by Kristi Miller - Thursday, February 14, 2013, 12:02 PM

We are using SIMCHART - my feelings right now are fairly negative - we had cerner previously and I believe it was something like $19,000 per year - so this seemed more reasonable - students are paying about $80 for a 6 month code and $170 for an 18 month code - issues we have had: scenarios not working properly, quizzes being graded incorrectly, poor customer support, spending hours creating our own scenarios - we don't use theirs because they don't fit what we have and want to achieve. Internet has gone down during simulated med pass.

Why isn't there something reasonable priced that our students can use in the lab that works as an EHR? I am surprised at the prices for what we are getting.

If anyone has any ideas - I saw someone uses Adobe - I am interested - will have to see if that kind of low tech approach might work for us in between EHRs.

any other feedback on pearson?

does anyone know the pricing for the students for NEEHR perfect?

Picture of Crissy Hunter
by Crissy Hunter - Thursday, February 14, 2013, 12:55 PM
We have decided to go with NEEHR Perfect. RIght now the prices seem a little more aligned with what students are paying for SimChart, however, NEEHR Perfect will implement all your previous scenarios/mars, etc...into the system so that you don't have to spend hours.
Way Worth it!
Picture of Erica Alexander
by Erica Alexander - Thursday, February 14, 2013, 1:26 PM

We are getting ready to purchase an EMR for our Simulation Center as well. We explored Cerner, Simchart, NeehrPerfect and DocuCare. We decided to go with DocuCare, it's pricing is very similar to Simchart, $50-$75 for 6 months depending on if it is bundled with a text or bought by the instituition. We are not up and running yet but I have talked to others who use this product and they are happy with it. I'm very pleased with the customer service I have received so far. They are a newer product so they don't have features such as barcode scanning for medications but they are working on it to add.

Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 11:11 AM
Any update!
Have the faculty continued with the text the product is bundled with?
by Erica Alexander - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 12:15 PM
We are still in a pilot phase. We are using DocuCare primarily with our junior level students for simulations. We have also used with sophomores? We will be expanding use in August? We did not purchase the bundled text.
by Erica Alexander - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 3:43 PM

Not sure why the "?s" are there :)

I also meant to add. Our students have had very positive things to say about DocuCare. They tell us is makes the simulation more realistic. They use DocuCare to prepare for the simulation and to document on during the simulation. It is very user-friendly and I am looking forward to using it more. We are working on a Nursing Informatics elective and I am sure it will be used for that course as well.

Picture of Connie Bierly Ford
by Connie Bierly Ford - Wednesday, January 22, 2014, 1:12 PM
We have been piloting DocuCare this year and have been very impressed with the "user friendly" interface. Even more importantly, DocuCare has 150 prepopulated scenarios. The scenarios include patients in the NLN Volumes I and II that are compatible with SimMan and Siman 3G.

DocuCare is easy to modify and the students have found it very intuitive as well.
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, April 8, 2014, 11:41 AM
Do you or anyone use any of the Simulation "Pixus" products out there with Docucare or Simchart?
Any information regarding pros, cons, implementations issues would be appreciated.
Picture of Amy Hamilton
by Amy Hamilton - Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 8:56 PM
I believe DocuCare is coming out with a way to scan medications using DocuCare.
Picture of Diana Breed
by Diana Breed - Thursday, February 14, 2013, 1:02 PM
We are piloting Cerner and it is working well except for the fact that since it is a real chart the admission dates are tough in the simulation lab. Other than that the support has been amazing, any time I find something that isn't working I get it fixed within hours.I needed labs to stabilize for a lower level student and I received the instructions on how to input them within one day of the question. The students enjoy having something that is comparable to the hospital setting with the reference info at their finger tips for quick decision making. Since we are piloting the price was steep, but we were quoted somewhere between $50-75 / student/ per semester so not completely unreasonable. Hope that helps.

Picture of kathee  long
by kathee long - Thursday, February 14, 2013, 1:48 PM
I used Cerner at my previous sim lab and loved it! BUT we had an informatics team that built the charts for us. I am hoping to use the Cerner-Pearson product at the school I am at now. (I also use it at my PRN job and love it)! From what I know about Cerner's AES, it's $130 per student for 12 months and Cerner will build the cases for you. I think once you learn how to change the dates, it's a lot easier to do later...and even change the order, etc. We have even done order entry during a sim. Student had to call the "Dr" for additional pain meds and the faculty member running the sim answered the call, got SBAR report and entered in the new order.

We are in the market for an EHR so we are also looking at NEEHR perfect. Can anyone tell me more about that?
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 11:12 AM
So What was your decision?
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 11:12 AM
So What was your decision?
Picture of Teresa Villaran
by Teresa Villaran - Tuesday, December 17, 2013, 8:44 PM
We use SimChart by Elsevier. We like it for its educational component, pre-clinical manager, and it's documentation component, as well as the decision support features it has.
Sim chart is a powerful learning tool and should be incorporated in pieces. It contains case studies, simulations, and the ability to create your own case studies and simulations. I did a summer research project with students prior to choosing a product. Students themselves chose Sim chart, even over Cerner. They liked that it was not only a documentation tool, but has alerts and references attached to it.
We have been using it for clinicals for 2 years now and will be incorporating it into simulations.
Hope this helps.
Hello Ms. Villaran,

We are interested in the Sim Chart by Elsevier but want to know if you use a scanner with it? At our clinical affiliates most use scanners to scan the patient's band and medication. Do you use the scanner or know of anyone that does?

Thank you, Susan My email address is :

Hello Everyone,

I just want to thank all the Professors who have emailed me about their Sim Chart experience but wanted to share this link below on You Tube because I would like to find out who Professor Winters is because she uses the Sim Chart and made some training videos. I would like to know if she is using a scanner and what company she purchased them from.

Link: 2013: Professor Winters entering you Tube Training videos for her college…wish I knew where it was ( I will ask Darren)….

Just watched the video... it's excellent! Thanks for sharing this. In one of her videos, she mentioned her school (Farmingdale School of Nursing)...
Picture of Michelle Sherlin
by Michelle Sherlin - Thursday, February 6, 2014, 12:59 PM
I too am looking for user experience with SimChart by Elsevier. I specifically want to know who has used it in their sim labs with multiple sessions. Is there a way to make multiple chart copies for one patient with various times (so they match and align with each lab). Also I did not see a reply about barcode scanning with Simchart. Does this system make barcode labels for patient ID and meds easily?
If any of you would be so kind to email me any input you can offer!! Thanks so much! Michelle
Picture of Amy Hamilton
by Amy Hamilton - Wednesday, April 16, 2014, 8:55 PM
We use DocuCare by Lippincott, and we love it.