Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Karen Werskey
Central lines/PICCS/Ports
by Karen Werskey - Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 3:55 PM

Has anyone been able to simulate any or all of these with Sim Man?

Thanks,

Karen Werskey

Re: Central lines/PICCS/Ports
by Nate Brent - Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 5:08 PM

Hi Karen,

I have made various central lines, including ports for my mannequins. We got our ports as an educational system from BARD Access Systems (try www.portadvantage.com). I do not know how much they cost, if anything. What I do is take the item (central line, port, etc.), and place it in a length of iv tubing with a luer lock end. Most of the time I have to super glue it into the IV tubing. With the luer lock end, all you have to do is hook it into your mannequins vascular system, either by a manufactured access point, or you may have to splice a clave into the mannequin’s vascular system. I have some pictures but cannot attach to this.  Email me directly at nathan.brent@chw.edu, and if you wish, you can contact me with any questions you might have. Good luck!

Nate

Picture of Trevor Snow
by Trevor Snow - Sunday, November 1, 2015, 6:48 PM

November 2 2015

Hello Nate,

I was looking through the SIRC Forum for some technical tips when I stumbled upon you note regarding CVC lines etc. I know this was posted over 4 years ago but wondered if you still had some photos of your set up (or an improved system!) you could send to me?

I am based in Melbourne Australia in a small Simulation Centre in a public Hospital. I use Essential Bleed manikins and need to set up a good CVC system for our scenarios. 

Regards

Trevor

trevor.snow@easternhealth.org.au

Picture of Kathleen Atchison
by Kathleen Atchison - Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 11:25 PM

Yes.  It is easy to run a tubing through the chest for looks.  But, I was looking for a way to reinforce the need to check blood return before using a CVC.  I figured out a simple way. 

I have taken some clear tubing (from Home Depot), and attached an extension set with a port on the end to one end of the tubing and a 100ml IV bag to the other end of the tubing.  I use 2 way connectors (from Home Depot) that are compatible with the tubing to attach the 3 pieces.  I fill the bag with 50ml Sim blood and remove all of the air.  I place the bag in the space where the chest tube block goes in SimMan3G (just make sure the tubing doesn't become kinked).  And, I run the tubing with the port end out of a hole in the chest.  (You can run it out one of the ECG holes if you don't want to cut the chest skin.) 

With this set up, students can pull back to get blood return even if the bag is sideways or upside down (as long is all air is out).  And, they can give an IV Push of medication (as long as you don't fill the bag up).  It's good for many uses! 

Students can also be taught how to draw blood specimens from a central line with this set up (including discarding 10ml first and flushing after).

Enjoy! 

Picture of crystal whitehouse
by crystal whitehouse - Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 11:51 AM

We did the same thing using iv tubing and it works great.  Very good for the students to be able to really perform the skill