Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of lori anderson
Dosage calculation simulation
by lori anderson - Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 6:35 PM

has anyone developed a dosage calculation simulation? I'm looking for ideas of how I can use simulation to teach dosage calculation skills. Thanks, Lori Anderson

Picture of Linda shubert
Re: Dosage calculation simulation
by Linda shubert - Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 7:23 PM

I would be interested in this as well....

Thanks,

Linda Shubert
Picture of LORA BARTLETT
by LORA BARTLETT - Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 7:24 PM

Lori,
I found an article describing a "simulation" of medications using "real world props. I put together my own med calculation simulation with 4 stations and 4 problems/examples each with props the student had to calculate. I have tried to go from basic, such as accurately pouring a cough syrup into med cup to calculating IV drip rates , choosing appropriate fluids, calculating po digoxin, and coumadin. IMs and subQ as well. If you will send your email to lpbartlett@me.com I will gladly send you the file that you can revise to your needs.
Lora Bartlett, RN, MSN, CNE
Picture of Joan Fedor-Bassemier
by Joan Fedor-Bassemier - Thursday, May 26, 2011, 11:50 AM

I would greatly appreciate your sending/sharing with me your Dosage Calculation Simulation.  I am Joan Fedor-Bassemier at University of Evansville, Evansville, IN.  My email address is jf156@evansville.edu  T

hank you in advance.

Picture of Pat Smith
by Pat Smith - Friday, May 18, 2012, 2:44 PM

Hi,

Can you please send this to me if you still have the info.

thanks

Pat

Picture of Theresa Lee
by Theresa Lee - Tuesday, June 5, 2012, 9:33 AM

I found your information very helpful. Would you please send the file to our school Thanks

Theresa Lee

Springfield Illinois

Picture of bonita kershaw
by bonita kershaw - Friday, July 6, 2012, 2:38 PM

I would appreciate your sharing your dosage calculatin simulation with me.

bkershaw@sjhnh.org

Picture of Mary E. Wolcott
by Mary E. Wolcott - Friday, July 13, 2012, 3:47 PM

I would appreciate it if you would share your simulation with our program.  My name is Mary E. Wolcott.  I am a professor of Nursing at Wenatchee Valley College in Wenatchee, WA.  My e-mail is mwolcott@wvc.edu 

Thank you so much!

Mary E. Wolcott, RN, MSN

Picture of Kristi Miller
by Kristi Miller - Monday, February 18, 2013, 4:29 PM

Would love to have this.

We are discussing removing drip rates from our med calc exam - anyone have anyt thoughts on this? pro/con?

don't want to put a lot of effort into a sim for drip rates if we are phasing them out

Picture of Mary Bailey
by Mary Bailey - Monday, February 18, 2013, 5:03 PM

We are updating our Pharmacology course and I am interested in whether this is still taught and if it is still taught, is it still tested on NCLEX.
Picture of kathee  long
by kathee long - Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 11:48 AM

Can you clarify what you mean by "whether this is still taught..." NCLEX has a Blue Print which covers all of the information needed for the NCLEX exam and is required to be in curriculum. We are getting ready to start a new program and the state board reviewed our curriculum to make sure it included the Blue Print. There is an updated Blue Print that takes effect April 1, 2013 and drug calc is a competency.

We will drug calc in sim, probably around the time it is taught in a course. At my past school we had "mini sims" to test for competencies. For example, we may have a sim for a "patient" who needed an IV start and meds; the student must obtain the med, start the IV and initiate the infusion. they had to write out the calc. So they covered multiple competencies. It's also a good way to review competencies before a new semester.

Hope that helps.
Picture of sherry silvia
by sherry silvia - Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 1:09 PM

Hi: I am studying and doing a doctoral dissertation on human patient simulation could you tell me more about the NCLEX Blue point and where I can find this information Thanks. Sherry
Picture of Mary Bailey
by Mary Bailey - Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 2:52 PM

It is the Test Plan for NCLEX- found at NCSBN.org
Picture of Kristi Miller
by Kristi Miller - Tuesday, February 19, 2013, 12:27 PM

I should have said: for flow rates we are discussing removing conversion to gtt/min from mls/hr from our med calc exam! Sorry for the confusion - so far everyone I have polled thinks leaving it in is crucial to patient safety - so important for when the electricity isn't working or available!
Picture of Jill Johnson
by Jill Johnson - Thursday, April 11, 2013, 9:48 AM

Lori,

It would  be greatly appreciated if you could send me your file on drug dosage caluculation.  I am the clinical lab coordinator at Hampton University in Hampton, Virginia.  At the moment I am teaching a drug calcuations class (which is my favorite class), and I would appreciate a new insight.  My email address is as follows:  jill.johnson@hamptonu.edu

My office number is 757-727-5804

Thank you very much,

Jill A. Johnson RN BSN MSN                                                                                                   

Picture of Deb O'Hay
by Deb O'Hay - Friday, April 26, 2013, 12:55 PM

I would also like to incorporate this into our new nurse orientation. Could you please send a copy of your program? deborah.ohay@forthc.com

Thanks,

Deb O'Hay, RN, MSN/MHA, CEN

Fort HealthCare, Inc.

920-568-6006

Fort Atkinson, WI 53538

Picture of Roschelle Manigold
by Roschelle Manigold - Friday, April 26, 2013, 1:41 PM

I would greatly appreciate your sharing your materials with me. thanks

roschelle

Picture of Jennifer Mefford
by Jennifer Mefford - Thursday, September 12, 2013, 11:02 AM

Hi,

Can you share your material with me! Thanks!!

Picture of Jean Eaton
by Jean Eaton - Friday, September 13, 2013, 7:16 PM

Hi Lora,

This is so nice of you to offer. I have just received my Master's in Nursing Education. I will be helping with simulation and teaching dosage and calculations. I would greatly appreciate a copy. My email address is eaton.jean19@yahoo.com.

Jean Eaton MSN/Ed, RN

Picture of Mary Ann  O'Neill
by Mary Ann O'Neill - Sunday, December 15, 2013, 4:21 PM

Hi I would also appreciate you sending the file as I teach med calculation. It would be great to see some other ideas! Thanks in advance. My email is moneill7@dtcc.edu.
Mary Ann O'Neill
Picture of Mary Ann  O'Neill
by Mary Ann O'Neill - Sunday, December 15, 2013, 4:22 PM

Hi I would also appreciate you sending the file as I teach med calculation. It would be great to see some other ideas! Thanks in advance. My email is moneill7@dtcc.edu.
Mary Ann O'Neill
Picture of May Ross Cafe
by May Ross Cafe - Monday, March 3, 2014, 10:47 PM

Hi Lora,

Can you please send to me also your file so that I can use it also. I am May Ross a nursing lecturer here in Malaysia.My email add is: mayrosscafe@yahoo.com

Thanks,
May Ross
Maria Whyte
by Maria Whyte - Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 6:47 AM

Add me also, mwhyte@fsu.edu
Picture of patti hill
by patti hill - Friday, May 9, 2014, 8:23 AM

Hello Laura,

Yes, I would appreciate your information. My email address is:pblackma@gccnj.edu

Thank you for your support,

Patti Blackman-Hill

Picture of Tanya Heuver
by Tanya Heuver - Tuesday, May 13, 2014, 5:30 PM

Hi,
We are looking to develop some IV medication calculation and administration SIMs. If anyone has any resources that you are willing to share, I would be most appreciative.
Thank you. tanya.heuver@macewan.ca
Tanya

I would like to see your medication scenarios if they are still available.  Thank you so much, Pam Oshaben  pherreraoshaben@ncmich.edu

Picture of Brooke Temby
by Brooke Temby - Thursday, September 25, 2014, 2:36 PM

I would also appreciate a copy if it is still available. I am new to teaching simulation and teach in a practical nursing program.

Thanks,

Brooke

Brooke M Temby, MSN.Ed, MBA, RN

btemby@mlatc.edu

Picture of Theresa Dember-Neal
by Theresa Dember-Neal - Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 8:33 PM

We have a Post op pain scenario where they have to do calculate dosage for pain  medication. But it is not specifically a dosage calcuation scenario. There are several objectives in each scenario depending upon the type of patient portrayed. I would be interested to see how people are doing dosage calculation scenarios as well.  

Theresa

Picture of Kathleen Atchison
by Kathleen Atchison - Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 4:17 AM

We have scenarios with different patient problems.  The student calls the MD to report to problem.  The doctor leaves an order and the student must write the order, transcribe it to the MAR, and administer the medication correctly.  We have different scenarios with a variety of medications each selected to offer them a different opportunity (i.e. narcotic, insulin, heparin, weight based drips, etc.)  They must state the 6 rights out loud as they administer the medication so that we can validate that their calculations are correct.   You can use any scenarios that you already have for this.  You can skip the MD call by having a routine medications that are due to be administered on the chart.  You can focus on just one per student, or have a student administer several at a time.  The latter offers them an opportunity to prioritize and determine the best order.  We also look for students to conduct pertinent assessments prior to medication administration (i.e. BP before an antihypertensive).

Picture of ghada almukhaini
by ghada almukhaini - Thursday, November 28, 2013, 12:09 AM

could you share you scenarios with me ,please! my email : galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa

i will appreciate your cooperation
thanks
Picture of May Ross Cafe
by May Ross Cafe - Monday, March 3, 2014, 10:51 PM

HiKathleen,

Can you please share your scenarios with me? I am May Ross from Malaysia. My email add: mayrosscafe@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance
Picture of terri moody
by terri moody - Tuesday, August 5, 2014, 10:25 PM

Hello,

I am reading this post today. I am interested in your math simulation scenario. Could you please email me a copy of it? My email address is tmoody@astate.edu.

Thank you,

Terri Moody

Picture of debbie davis
by debbie davis - Saturday, April 27, 2013, 9:38 AM

I would like to have one as well-hunterspike@aol.com Thank you!
by ghada almukhaini - Sunday, November 3, 2013, 5:53 AM

i thank you for sharing this information with us ,, could you send me the file to my email at galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa. i appreciate your kind and helpful cooperation.

ghada
by ghada almukhaini - Sunday, November 3, 2013, 6:03 AM

i thank you for sharing this information with us ,, could you send me the file to my email at galmukhaini@ksu.edu.sa. i appreciate your kind and helpful cooperation.

ghada
Picture of Elizabeth Wells-Beede
by Elizabeth Wells-Beede - Wednesday, November 20, 2013, 7:47 PM

I am so far behind the 8 ball! Would you terribly mind sharing the information with me as well. We are currently having some issues with finding ways to enforce the math. Many of our students are having a difficult time with the application of dosage calc.
ewellsbee@gulfcoast.edu
Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!
Picture of Sherry Warnock
by Sherry Warnock - Thursday, May 8, 2014, 1:52 PM

We include some type of drug calculation in just about all of our simulation scenarios. At least twice a semester we include something like calculating a dopamine drip or insulin drip. Most of the time we do not have them calculate a mainline IV drip rate because we still are teaching how to program utilizing the guardrail drugs and IV fluids on the Alaris pump. Last semester one pump failed so they had to administer off the pump and calculate that drip rate and deliver.
We usually mix it up for all possibilities that they can encounter in practice.
Sherry Warnock MSN, RN, ACNS-BC
Armstrong Atlantic State University
Savannah, Georgia