Equipment Issues

Picture of Amy Galetti
Audio Video System
by Amy Galetti - Thursday, March 24, 2011, 1:23 PM

I am starting to look into an AV system for our SimLab- can anyone offer suggestions or offer what you currently use, what you like and don't like about your system - and the ever favorite topic - how much did it cost?

Thanks!

Picture of Karen Werskey
Re: Audio Video System
by Karen Werskey - Thursday, March 24, 2011, 3:22 PM

Amy,

We have two sim rooms for our 2100 sq ft facility.  Each room has two cameras ....one directly over the bed and the other one sweeps 360 degrees at the foot of the bed and can zoom in and out.  Excellent quality cameras!!  The system is from Laerdal.  Excellent service too.  Not sure on cost because grant money covered it.  If you would like a contact name, please email me.'

Karen Werskey

kwerskey@schneckmed.org

Picture of cindy cole
by cindy cole - Thursday, March 24, 2011, 4:18 PM

We use EMS/ Arcadia for our Simulation lab. We have 8 cameras total, 2 in the the room with Sim Man, 2 in Birthing room/ Sim NewB, 4 in the Skills lab. They work great and customer service is great. They have training programs that are offered 2 times a year they go along with purchase/ maintenance agreements at no cost. Camera quality is great. we also have the video recording and debriefing aspect which a great tool also. As far as cost, I was not here when it was initially installed so I am not sure. I do know that it was grant funded. However, the maintenance runs around $20-25,000/year. If I can be of anymore help please feel free to contact me.

Cynthia B. Cole

Southern Virginia Higher Education Center

Center of Nursing Excellence

cynthiacole@svhed.org

Picture of Kathleen Atchison
by Kathleen Atchison - Monday, April 25, 2011, 1:02 AM

Hello,

We have used the EMS system too.  Are you releasing the videos to be viewed off site?  If so, to who, for how long, and how is this working for you?  Are you using it to complete any eval or survey tools?  If so, can you give me details and let me know how this is working for you?

Thanks!

Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
by Marjorie Scheikl - Monday, April 25, 2011, 3:17 PM

Hi Kathleen,

Do you have the Sim Xpress from EMS? If so, does it work for you?

Marjie

by Kathleen Atchison - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 12:39 AM

I'm not sure what software group we have.  We have been using it to record videos so the students can watch them later for self evals.  We have found the process to be quite cumbersome.  We wanted to use the program to analyze data related to our learning outcomes, but discovered that it didn't do statistical analysis.  So, we have to enter our data into another system.  We don't need the scheduling function.  And, the inventory and EMR functions don't meet our needs.  Are you using it?  If so, how is it working for you?

Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
by Marjorie Scheikl - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 6:37 AM

Hi Kathleen,
Are you using the big EMS unit (stationary and hard wired) or the Sim Xpress (mobile audio/video unit)?

We recently acquired a Sim Xpress with grant funds and after several months it is still not functioning error free. I am not sure if it the system itself, or the tech we have that might not have enough knowledge to get it going properly.

Sincerely,
Marjie
Picture of kathy gendron
by kathy gendron - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 10:22 AM

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. I was asking about EMR for online charting. For audio we use microphones that are in our METI men. They work well. I am not familiar with what you are talking about. Sorry.
by Kathleen Atchison - Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 11:49 PM

Oh.  We are using the big system.  It is not functioning well for use either, but our current issues are more about the time the system takes due to the set up to record.  I would be interested to hear what your issues have been.  Can you tell me what types of errors you are having?

Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Thursday, March 24, 2011, 3:23 PM

Hi Amy,

we used KB Port and the Product ETC.....Extremely rare issues, and immediate support from the staff.  I can put you in touch with the team if you like.  They are based out of PA.

As far as  cost, I think that would individualized to your specific needs...we outfitted a whole control room and 2 patient rooms with the system. 

Wendy

Picture of Tim Hardy
by Tim Hardy - Monday, March 28, 2011, 9:25 AM

Amy,

There are several systems out there, Laerdal SimView, EMS, KB Port, B-Line to name the big players.  Each have pro's and con's.  I will tell you that Laerdal SimView is new and is rocking the market with its capabilities.  It will not be available until August/September of 2011.  KB Port is a very custumized system built to your specs.  B-Line and EMS are comparables. The thing to watch here is can they receive all data from your simulators, (ie., Log files, patient monitors).

Hope this helps!

Tim

Picture of Amy Galetti
by Amy Galetti - Monday, March 28, 2011, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all of the responses - this has been very helpful for the process of researching AV systems.

Amy Galetti