Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Donna Koestler
Where do I begin to learn?
by Donna Koestler - Monday, December 13, 2010, 10:25 AM
Hello everyone, I have a question.  Our school has recently created a Sim laboratory and I need to learn how to use this teaching methodology.  I would love to take a course about simulation that is a hybrid (face to face and online).  I have noticed a graduate level course is being offered but I feel this is not applicable at this time.  All advice is welcome.  Thankyou.
Picture of Wendy Grbach
Re: Where do I begin to learn?
by Wendy Grbach - Monday, December 13, 2010, 11:06 AM

HI Donna!  Welcome to Sim World!

Actually do you have any mannequins yet?  What type of program are you teaching in and who are your learners?  You are correct that just getting in at ground level, the advanced course may be something to strive for later.  I am happy to help in any way I can. Where are you located?

The experts on this site and others will be valluable resources to you so you are looking in the right direction!!  Feel free to email me directly for help.

Wendy  :)

Wendeline J. Grbach, MSN, RN, CCRN, CLNC

UPMC Shadyside School of Nursing

Pittsburgh, PA

Picture of Kari Congenie
by Kari Congenie - Monday, December 13, 2010, 11:25 AM

I have to say that the "crash course" from Laerdal conducted through WISER at the Gordon Center for Research in Miami FL was an awesome way to start. A little information overload, but a great base to start with. They may have this course in other WISER centers in the US. They rest came with time, experience, tweeking, and simulation workshop/conferences. The Northwestern Simulation conference this past October was a great experience to further develop debriefing techniques. I'm in my second year of Sim. We have SimMan, SimBaby, and just recently received Noelle/Baby Hal.

Good luck!

Picture of Karen Werskey
by Karen Werskey - Monday, December 13, 2010, 2:07 PM

The education modules on this web site are really good to use.  I also would recommend Dr. Pam Jeffries book (on this web site too).  I, too, attended training at the Gordon Center in Miami.  Very helpful.  I am learning that just doing hands on over and over again (especially with students) has improved my skills too.

Karen Werskey

Picture of Jodi Nelson
by Jodi Nelson - Monday, December 13, 2010, 3:06 PM

You may consider joining the INACSL association. The list serve is very active and has tips and hints on a daily basis. The NLN courses related to simulation are great when you're learning how to teach with simulation. Here are a couple other texts I would recommend.

Hetzel Campbell, S. & Daley, K. (2009). Simulation scenarios for nurse educators: Making it real. NY: Springer Publishing Company.

Nehring, W. & Lashley, F. (2010). High-fidelity patient simulation in nursing education. Sudbery, MA: Jones and Bartlett Publishers.

Jodi Nelson, MSN, RN, CNE

BryanLGH College of Health Sciences

Center for Excellence in Clinical Simulation

Lincoln, NE

Picture of Donna Koestler
by Donna Koestler - Monday, December 13, 2010, 3:57 PM
Wonderful advice, thankyou all.
Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Monday, December 13, 2010, 5:02 PM
Donna, welcome to the simulation world! There are numerous resources for you. In addition to those already mentioned by others, contact schools in your area and visit them. I have found that seeing how other labs are set up and run and having a person to call for questions was very valuable. We had a group that met monthly at each school on a rotating basis and we were able to help each other set up the labs. We also would share information on vendors, conferences, and supplies. There are many free seminars once you tap into the online resources so look for them.

Good luck!

Vickie Valenziano, RN, MSN
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Cuesta College