Maximizing Fidelity

Picture of Fred Klausegger
Converting VitalSim mannequin sound abdomens
by Fred Klausegger - Thursday, November 4, 2010, 10:02 AM

One problem that we have had using Laerdal VitalSim mannequins is that you need to have a sound abdomen in place to listen to bowel sounds. If we are doing stoma or wound care, and those abdomens are being used in the mannequin, bowel sounds cannot be heard and assessed by the students. These step by step instructions show you how to convert the mannequin so that the speakers are in the plastic wall of the abdominal cavity instead of the replaceable belly. This allows you and the students to hear bowel sounds regardless of what abdomen is in place. You can even use an injectable abdomen without danger of damaging the speakers. If you would like the step-by-step instructions for this conversion, send me an email and I will send them to you.

Fred Klausegger RN

Valencia Community College

Osceola Campus Nursing Arts Lab  6-8

1800 Denn John Lane, Kissimmee, Fl. 34744

407-582-4865       fklausegger@valenciacc.edu

I would like this information please.

My email is debbiejohnston@mail.sunyjcc.edu

thanks in advance!

Deb

I am very interested in this. Please send me what you've figured out.

Thanks,

Dustin Hicks RN, MSN

Meridian Technology Center

1312 S. Sangre Rd.

Stillwater, OK 74074

dustinh@meridiantech.edu

Fred,

May I please have your step-by-step instructions for the conversion of bowel sounds in the abdominal cavity. 

Thank you!

Marlene Stuber MS, RN

Adjunct Faculty in Nursing Learning Resource Center

Wright State University College of Nursing and Health

3740 Colonel Glen Hwy, Dayton, Ohio

marlene.stuber@wright.edu

Picture of terri moody
Re: Converting VitalSim mannequin sound abdomens
by terri moody - Wednesday, August 6, 2014, 9:04 PM

Do you still have the information of converting bowel sounds on the vital sims? If so I would love for you to email me.

Terri Moody

Arkansas State University

tmoody@astate.edu

Since I am unable to contact the author of "how to convert a Vital Sim manikin", I am wondering if anyone has his original directions??? If so, please email me at clandis@lancasterctc.edu

Thanks!