Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Virginia Dale
Looking for a mentor
by Virginia Dale - Friday, October 29, 2010, 8:59 AM

I am looking for a mentor for a project that involves creating a clinical simulation as part of my MSN in Nursing Education program (practicum with no real patients involved). My mentor must have a minimum of an MSN. This would be strictly consultation via email and possibly phone.Thanks.

Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
Re: Looking for a mentor
by Marjorie Scheikl - Friday, October 29, 2010, 10:01 AM

Virginia,

What program are you in? I am on faculty at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va and would like to help you out if able.

Please send me more specifics about your programs requirements for this experience and  the type of support you would need from me. This way I can determine if my current work load would allow me to fulfill this role.

You can email me: scheikmo@jmu.edu

Sincerely,

Marjorie Scheikl

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Saturday, October 30, 2010, 1:54 AM

Virginia, I would like to add my name to the list to be a mentor for your simulation project. I have been involved in simulation for about 5 years now. Have set up two sim labs at 2 separate colleges. Have trained and mentored faculty and MSN students as well. Let me know if you still need one.

Vickie Valenziano, RN, MSN
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Cuesta College
San Luis Obispo, California
Picture of Phyllis Lauer
by Phyllis Lauer - Monday, September 12, 2011, 10:00 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Virginia for your idea to ask for an online mentor!

Hello Everyone,

I am the Simulation Lab tenure-trace faculty and Sim Lab Manager in a community college setting up a Sims Lab.

I really, really would appreciate any bit of mentoring time that someone could give me.

I am full time tenure track nursing faculty at a community college.   I have been tenured faculty in the past, though not as Simulation Lab faculty and manager.  I am new to my position this fall.  No one else here at the college has any training in Sims Lab.  The group is highly excited about doing Sims scenario sessions.

I would like to share such information as:

1.  where are resources for additional information, for example:  on developing materials for students to use prior to attending scenarios,  funding for faculty training (training for me)

2.  how to teach other nursing faculty about collaboration and working together with students in the Sims Lab   (Nurses are so enamored of their own specialties without seeing the big picture.)  I feel that my position requires the utmost in collaboration with other faculty--in ways not before having been developed or even recognized.  I feel also that my position is one of support for other faculty, but at the same time they need to recognize my value.

3.  I want to develop some evaluation tools for evaluating my performance---there is nothing in existence here that evaluates what we (faculty) are envisioning for my role.

4.  I am planning on doing Outcomes Assessment for Sims Lab sessions as well as some kind of a related research project  (I have many ideas for this)

5.  Note also:  my teaching is within a curriculum and college software environment that makes my teaching fall within everyone else's courses------I do not have a separate course----but my content is part of the curriculum in all courses.   (We have other teachers that likewise, are located within someone else's structure.)

6.  I would love any opportunity to ask questions of experienced Sims Lab faculty or faculty that has combined responsibilities with lecture and clinical and Sims Lab.  Any input from someone with experience would help me so much.

Thanks,

Phyllis Lauer, RN-BC,MS,APN-BC, Adult Health    plauer@ssc.edu

Picture of Phyllis Lauer
by Phyllis Lauer - Monday, September 12, 2011, 10:01 AM

Hello Everyone,

Thank you Virginia for your idea to ask for an online mentor!

Hello Everyone,

I am the Simulation Lab tenure-trace faculty and Sim Lab Manager in a community college setting up a Sims Lab.

I really, really would appreciate any bit of mentoring time that someone could give me.

I am full time tenure track nursing faculty at a community college.   I have been tenured faculty in the past, though not as Simulation Lab faculty and manager.  I am new to my position this fall.  No one else here at the college has any training in Sims Lab.  The group is highly excited about doing Sims scenario sessions.

I would like to share such information as:

1.  where are resources for additional information, for example:  on developing materials for students to use prior to attending scenarios,  funding for faculty training (training for me)

2.  how to teach other nursing faculty about collaboration and working together with students in the Sims Lab   (Nurses are so enamored of their own specialties without seeing the big picture.)  I feel that my position requires the utmost in collaboration with other faculty--in ways not before having been developed or even recognized.  I feel also that my position is one of support for other faculty, but at the same time they need to recognize my value.

3.  I want to develop some evaluation tools for evaluating my performance---there is nothing in existence here that evaluates what we (faculty) are envisioning for my role.

4.  I am planning on doing Outcomes Assessment for Sims Lab sessions as well as some kind of a related research project  (I have many ideas for this)

5.  Note also:  my teaching is within a curriculum and college software environment that makes my teaching fall within everyone else's courses------I do not have a separate course----but my content is part of the curriculum in all courses.   (We have other teachers that likewise, are located within someone else's structure.)

6.  I would love any opportunity to ask questions of experienced Sims Lab faculty or faculty that has combined responsibilities with lecture and clinical and Sims Lab.  Any input from someone with experience would help me so much.

Thanks,

Phyllis Lauer, RN-BC,MS,APN-BC, Adult Health    plauer@ssc.edu

Picture of Trevor Nicely
by Trevor Nicely - Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 10:55 AM

Hi Phyllis,

Congratulations on joining the community of simulation users in a Nursing Education setting. I enjoy working with eager-to-learn students at the colleges of Nursing and you will too!

I'm currently working with institutions in the Pacific Northwest such as Northwest Hospital in Seattle, Tacoma Community College and Everett CC/Providence Hospital. I do curriculum design with custom scenario programming for Laerdal and METI products, Sim-Lab design with architects, Train the Trainer workshops for Simulation Facilitators, and other bits and pieces of advising. I'd be happy to help out SSC.

I've got a list of referrals from previous clients and have authored an article on simulation design in International Nursing Review (Japan) in 2009. I'm always available to "talk shop" as well.

I wanted to reach out and share some of my six years of simulation experience with you. I've been consulting for two years and in March 2011 devoted myself to working full time helping share simulation technology with the world.

Thanks,

Trevor Nicely

www.nwsimtech.com

Picture of Melody Bethards
by Melody Bethards - Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 4:18 PM

Dear Phyllis,

I am a simulation coordinator in a CC in Iowa. I have a small sim lab where I do PN and ADN simulations. We have had great success integrating simulation into our PN curriculum.

I would be happy to share anything I have with you :)

Melody

Picture of Robyn Provencio
by Robyn Provencio - Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 11:11 PM

Hi Melody,

I saw a webinar on Evolve and I think you might have been the speaker. I really enjoyed your presentation. I am trying to get a simulation program off the ground at our PN school. We have the team (MetiMan, the instructors, and the students) but are lacking a plan. Are you available to consult with? Thanks for your time.

Robyn Provencio RN MSN

Nursing Educator

Modesto, CA

rprovencio@gurnick.edu

Picture of Michelle Marko
by Michelle Marko - Tuesday, April 17, 2012, 2:06 PM

Melody, I am attempting to access your simulation webinar on Evolve as mentioned by Robyn and when I click on the "Launch the recorded webcast", it brings up a webinar regarding Simchart versus Nursesquared. Is this the correct webinar? If not, do you have another link that I might be able to access your webinar? I am really interested in speaking with you further. Thank you Phyllis for bringing up this subject! I am beginning the development stages of incorporating simulation into our curriculum and we are really starting from square one. I would also appreciate being able to touch base with those who have walked this walk before me!

Thank you!

Michelle

mmarko@cotc.edu

Picture of Melissa Savage
by Melissa Savage - Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 3:26 PM

Phyllis,

I am a novice in the nurse educator arena, and I also have been given the responsibility to get our simulation lab up and running because I am very technological savvy. My problem is I am really unsure how this needs to be done. We have all of the equipment and I now the basic workings of how to use it but that's about it. A mentor would be awesome or just some direction on what I need to do so that the Simulation Lab can be fully utilized. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Melissa Savage

melissa.savage@vc.edu

Picture of Janette Ryan
by Janette Ryan - Wednesday, February 6, 2013, 2:01 PM

Hi Melissa,

I'm relatively new in my position also, as the Nursing Skills Lab Manager at a private College with Nursing Programs that include PN, ADN and RN to BSN [online] programs, among others.  I can relate to your wondering how to do what needs to be done.  We have two nursing skills labs with mid-fidelity, Laerdal, Nurse Anne & Nurse Kelly manikins, including a Mega-Code Kelly - which has more capability [including running a code & using telemetry].  We do not have what is called any high-fidelity manikins at this time.  I've had a crash course in learning a lot of what is involved in this role since hire, and I suspect I'm not as technologically savvy as you are; but I've been learning!  I sure know more about these manikins and this role in this setting, than I did 6 months ago!  

Currently we do not do full scenarios at the PN level, since their course of study is very fast paced in just 4 terms and so many come into the program with only a high school background and maybe some STNA experience [if].  So they are flat out just learning the basics and basic PN skills.  The PN students and our ADN students do practice on the manikins during the skills lab component of their lab component courses, everything from Fundamentals of Nursing, Med-Surg I and II, OB/PEDS, IV, etc.  In addition to their lectures and didactic components, they have a clinical component and a lab component to many of their courses.  So the PN students learn and practice quite a few skills in the nursing skills lab using manikins - doing everything from peri-care to vital signs, basic physical assessment skills, Medication administration, IV starts, catheterization, wound care, trach care, maternal and newborn assessments, etc. all in 4 terms. 

We do use manikins [yep, that's the correct spelling for this kind of manikin] and NLN - Volume I and now Volume II scenarios, in 4 of the ADN courses, which also have a lab component.  Not every nursing course has a lab component, but those that do, have a syllabus that includes didactic [lecture], lab, and clinical. 

The lab portion is designed to meet the skill based objectives in the syllabi for that course.  The syllabi and skills to be "Checked-Off" for each course are determined by the course faculty and routed through the Curriculum Committee, for each lab-based course.  Of course that is determined by policy and procedure for curriculum and per course. 

SO you'll need to know and be familiar with which courses will use the lab and what the syllabi and objectives are for your school as well.  IN the lab, for each new and required skill, students receive a skill demonstration by assigned Lab Lead Faculty for that course, to complement what they've also had in lecture.  Then they have scheduled practice time during more scheduled [weekly] lab time; and finally must perform the skill successfully per skill check-off sheets developed by faculty on a designated date.  They are allowed up to two attempts to pass each required skill during their labs, with remediation if unsuccessful on their 1st attempt, as needed between the two attempts.  These skills are determined per course, and are implemented by each course at each campus during the Nursing Skills Lab for that course, as assigned weekly.           

We have been using 8 Laerdal, mid-fidelity manikins which we have distributed in 2 nursing skills labs, using them with the VitalSim base units - which have many signs/symptoms and vital signs preprogramed; plus being programable with NLN scenarios.  These VitalSim base units are in the process of being phased out by Laerdal to be replaced with electronic SimPads.  We also use newborn manikins for the PN-OB/Peds course.  We just purchased the some of the new Laerdal SimPads [something new to learn about!], which will steadily be replacing the VitalSim base units.  The SimPads are needed to be able to access and use the newest - NLN Volume II [online only] scenarios as needed, which we're going to use for ADN level courses with a lab component [last term].  We continue to use the NLN - Vol. 1 scenarios for 3 of our ADN courses, and now NLN - Vol. 2 [online only] for their Transition to RN lab.   

Each term's schedule is made out and confirmed by our ADON in advance, so thankfully, most of the lab-based courses are kept at the same times & days each term; which facilitates didactic, lab and clinical.  It also helps me so I can plan and function with some consistency.  Although my role will likely continue to evolve, currently I work with faculty for 4 PN courses with a lab component and 4 ADN courses with a nursing skills lab component. 

I also schedule all Open Labs [practice] and any remediation, not to mention other job responsibilities around those scheduled course lab times.  Thankfully our program has assigned Lab Lead faculty for each of these courses, so I facilitate or assist them and anything nursing skills lab based.  That includes at a minimum:  Purchasing = pricing, obtaining, re-stocking all disposable supplies used in the lab every term for every lab-based course on two levels, as well as DME = durable medical equipment & supplies; replacing IV skin/tubing on the IV arms on manikins as needed, repairing/adjusting manikins; setting up ADN scenarios weekly,  developing moulage for scenarios or lab classes, assist during lab courses as needed due to high enrollment; assisting with Skill Check-Off's as needed, making sure only current Skills Check-Off sheets are in use by faculty & students; current remediation based paperwork and routing it to appropriate faculty, following up on and tracking remediation, supervision of Open Labs, supervision of work study student; and other related college activities like meetings and committees, etc.     

SO, that's JUST an example of the tip of the iceberg!  Hopefully it shows how the lab can be integrated into the curriculum.  I decided to briefly [believe it or not!] describe all of the above - so you could see if input from me would be helpful to you!

You can feel free to contact me by e-mail if this is of interest to you.  Even if you're not interested, I thought it might be helpful to someone!    

Hang in there!  Janette Ryan

jryan@hondros.edu