Equipment Issues

Picture of Kathleen Atchison
Pyxis for Medication Administration
by Kathleen Atchison - Saturday, October 2, 2010, 5:18 PM

I am in the process of deciding about a Pyxis machine for our simulation center.  I'm wondering how many centers out there have Pyxis machines for medication administration.  Can you please let me know the name of your center and if you have one or not? 

Thanks!

Picture of patricia mccauley
Re: Pyxis for Medication Administration
by patricia mccauley - Saturday, October 2, 2010, 8:44 PM

Hi Kathleen,

We do not have a Pyxis but I would like information about the Pyxis. Are you getting your information directly from the Pyxis company ?

Thanks,

Pat McCauley

by Kathleen Atchison - Sunday, October 3, 2010, 12:41 AM

I've contacted a rep at Carefusion for prices. 
Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Sunday, October 3, 2010, 10:58 AM

HI Kathleen,

We do have a system, although not Pyxis.  McKesson has a product, which I acquired thru generous donation.  We opted for this company as this is what is installed in our health system. 

Good Luck!

Wendy :)

Picture of Fred Klausegger
by Fred Klausegger - Friday, November 5, 2010, 2:53 PM

I am trying to convince our administration that this is the direction we need to go in. I am looking at one of two options - try to get one of the area hospitals to donate an old but working machine to us, or buy the Simulated Medication dispensing System from Pocket Nurse. Since the area hospitals all use different systems, and we are simulating this aspect of medication administration in our lab, I am leaning torwards the Pocket Nurse machine as it will be more generic. Cost is the issue, and adminsitration is balking.
Picture of Karen Werskey
by Karen Werskey - Monday, November 8, 2010, 9:27 AM

Fred,

Show administration the numbers.  Find data that supports the use of simulation in preventing medication errors.  The cost of one med error could possibly pay for a machine. 

Also, have you applied for any grants?

Just thinking out loud......sorry if I am repeating any info

Karen Werskey

by Kathleen Atchison - Thursday, November 25, 2010, 3:11 PM

Yes.  I had to write a report to validate the need.  I included info from JC, IOM, TIGER initiative, our clinical partners, and our accrediting body about their interests in med safety and recognition of the need for training that includes technology. 
Picture of Cindy Becker
by Cindy Becker - Thursday, January 27, 2011, 12:03 PM

Fred,

I read your post concerning obtaining a simulated medication dispensing system.  We are a community college and also deal with different hospitals with differenct systems.  I haver heard about the Pocket nurse machine and was wondering if you ended up purchasing it or went with something else? 

Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Thursday, January 27, 2011, 2:03 PM

We have the med-dispense system and it is quite difficult to program.  After many hours of frustration, we are considering another type.  I am interested in hearing what brands others are successfully using.

Vickie

by Kathleen Atchison - Thursday, January 27, 2011, 10:09 PM

For Pyxis, a rep came out to do a site visit and let us know what data ports and outlets we would need, then came back to configure it, then provided 2 days of training.  I entered my formulary, loaded the drawers, and created users.  Easy!  We are not using the barcode scanner... yet.  The rep will come back of provide training over the phone when we are ready for that.  Tech support can remote in if there are problems, although we have found that they may not resolve the problem that same day.  So, we still have backup med boxes.

Picture of Barbara Collins
by Barbara Collins - Tuesday, April 5, 2011, 2:59 PM

Kathleen, and All:

Were other Simulated Medication Systems evaluated or researched before choosing Pyxis? If so, was there a reason this one was selected?

Barbara

by Kathleen Atchison - Wednesday, April 6, 2011, 11:30 PM

I did not evaluate others.  We chose Pyxis because it was the one that the students would most likely encounter in the clinical setting/recognized by clinical partners and the price was not that different from the others we saw on the market.  And now that I've heard about the others, I'm glad we chose Pyxis because I have not had the difficulty with set up that I have heard people have on the other systems.