Equipment Issues

Picture of sylvia barber
EMR
by sylvia barber - Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 3:01 PM

We are in the process of selecting an EMR for our sim lab. Does anyone have an EMR that they could recommend that is realistic, easily accessible and student/instructor friendly.  I know there are several just coming out on the market and have looked at several.  I would like some info about what other schools are using, any suggestions would be appreciated.   

Thank you, Sylvia

Picture of Lisa Hill
Re: EMR
by Lisa Hill - Wednesday, September 1, 2010, 4:05 PM

I am also interested in this information. Cost, ease of use, network capabilities with Med Dispense etc?
Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Saturday, September 11, 2010, 9:49 AM

Here at Central Texas College we use the EMR which is embedded in the SLS Evolve Simulation Scenarios...it is a new approach for us so we are currently testing it out but it shows a lot of promise when I was practicing with it.  However, most of our books are tied in with Evlove Elsevier and items are purchased as a bundle so I am not sure what the costs are for your schools since you may  be not using any Evolve books.

Susan

Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Friday, September 17, 2010, 7:59 PM

We ordered ours from Pocket Nurse.  It is great for teaching how a pyxis is utilized however it took awhile for me to input the drugs into the system for each patient scenario we decided to use then the company does not supply the practice labeled drugs.  So we ordered practice drugs to fill the machine. 
Picture of kathy gendron
by kathy gendron - Saturday, April 16, 2011, 12:54 PM

Susan,

We are in the process of deciding what package to purchase for our informatics/EHR for use in simulation. One of the software packages we are considering is Elsevier Evolve SLS. Wondering how you are liking it and if you could share any pertinent info as to use, difficulties or problems, etc.  I understand the college pays a yearly fee and the students pay an additional price as well (we use a book connected with Elsevier now). We are looking for something that we can adapt to our current scenarios (we have the PNCI scenarios from METI) as well as pre-written scenario.  Do you also have Nurse Squared with the SLS? Thanks.

Picture of Kathleen Atchison
by Kathleen Atchison - Saturday, April 16, 2011, 2:36 PM

I create our forms in Word then use Adobe Acrobat to convert them to fill in the blank sections and drop down menus for one click selections.  This gives students a chance to practice completing electronic forms with narrative, short answer, or one word typing; using drop down menus; and remembering to save data during care.

Our IT support has set up a way for faculty to access the forms on the documentation computer n the patient room from the simulation control room to look at what the student has done or change things, like lab results, easily between scenarios. 

Works great and we didn't have to purchase anything extra.  Just takes a little time on my part. 

Picture of Joyce Howard
by Joyce Howard - Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 1:35 PM

We started using AES (Academic Education Solution) thru the University of Kansas School of Nursing and the Cerner Corporation during the Spring semester 2011and like it.  They provided training sessions but alot of what we learned was more of an OJT process.  It does make it more realistic for the students since they are also using EMRs in some of the local hospitals that they do clinicals in. 

Picture of Sandra K Voll
by Sandra K Voll - Thursday, April 21, 2011, 2:35 PM

Thanks for your message. We are interested in the Cerner AES product. Can I ask how much it cost?
Picture of jeanette McNeill
by jeanette McNeill - Thursday, April 21, 2011, 6:52 PM

Sandra, We are using this--one of 45 or so schools in the country, and really like it. Cerner has also provided excellent support--I think it was about $45,000 or so from my remembrance--here is the website I have,

CERNER- AES

https://store.cerner.com/items/270

Picture of Linda shubert
by Linda shubert - Sunday, March 4, 2012, 7:03 PM

We are looking at Neer Perfect vs Pearson vs Elsevier. Need feedback from schools currently using any of these vendors/products for EHR. Your thoughts, issues?
Picture of Amy Galetti
by Amy Galetti - Monday, March 12, 2012, 4:34 PM

We are past users of Nurse Squared and are currently switching over to Sim Chart from Elsevier.  We plan to integrate into the curriculum in the Fall.  We did use Nurse Squared for care plan documentation, clinical make-up assigments, and also to chart during simulations.  While we did have some challenges with Nurse Squared - Sim Chart looks like it has addressed many of the issues that we had and have really streamlined the product. Our students use a 6 month key for access to SimChart at a price of $50.00 - the student pays that fee. I am not sure what our institutional fee was - but I will find out if you are interested.

Hope that helps!

Amy Galetti

Picture of Kerry Allen
by Kerry Allen - Sunday, April 8, 2012, 8:36 PM

Amy,
We have also recently migrated from NurseSquared to SimChart (as of Jan 2012) and have found that has not been the easy transition that I initially thought. It has had several tech issues and I have sent in several support tickets with some resolution. I am curious to hear how your transition has worked. Also, wondering how you are using it in your curriculum.

Thanks
Kerry Allen
Picture of Rickie Bonner
by Rickie Bonner - Tuesday, October 30, 2012, 5:27 PM

We incorporated SimChart from Evolve/Elsevier this semester and are seriously considering dropping it. We have problems with it "timing out" on our students. Evolve said that the student has to leave SimChart and go back into Evolve to extend their time on. We complained about this because it interupts the student learning and if they forget to do this step, time runs out and the student looses all their work. Also, students AND instructors have trouble getting booted out for no reason AND loosing all your work. Made a ticket on it and Evolve said that their system is overloaded with all the users....should have thought about this before they marketed it so much. We have had some students submit the EMR and it gets lost in space. Instructors receive an email that the work is submitted but we cannot find it. Only solution is to get the students sign in and password and go look at their work that way.....not good. We are having a faculty meeting in a few weeks and will re-evaluate using it any more. We have students trying to put in information, loosing data, and staying up all night messing with it! I would be anxious to hear if anyone else has used SimChart and what their experiences have been with it.