Equipment Issues

Picture of Darlene Rogers
headwall suction/o2 units
by Darlene Rogers - Thursday, July 29, 2010, 1:49 PM

Has anyone used the vertical headwall units designed for nursing labs.  We purchased a few and are having a hard time getting them to work correctly.  They are very loud, the suction regulators  do not work, and the dual suction units work off each other.  Any suggestions from anyone who is using this product?

Picture of Kelly Migler
Re: headwall suction/o2 units
by Kelly Migler - Thursday, August 5, 2010, 1:02 PM

We have the horizontal headwall units in our sim lab. They are not very quiet either and if we use them for too long they will start to overheat. Other than that, they work nicely for our simulations.

Kelly Migler

Picture of Karen Troppman
by Karen Troppman - Monday, August 9, 2010, 5:04 PM

We have 10 of these units in our lab. I agree they tend to be a bit noisy, but before these were installed, we had floor suction units that were just as loud. I have also experienced a problem with the suction regulators but have found, in my case, I had not completely tightened the suction cannisters to the suction regulators and once the connections were tightened the suction worked better. The units do get warm but i spoke with the gentleman that invented these a few years back and he shared with me that when the units get too warm they will automatically shut off for awhile and can usually be restarted within a 30 minute period. If you also smell an odor coming from the units when they have been on for awhile, I was also told that the compressor is covered with a biodegradable lubricant that initially gives off this odor when they are first installed. Overall, I am pretty satisfied with our units, they provide a fair sense of reality when the students are practicing or testing on skills. Hope this helps!
Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Thursday, August 12, 2010, 11:59 AM

Friends, if I may ask, whom are  your products with?  We are looking at replacing non- functional units with those functional. We have no gas options.

Thanks!

Wendy :)

Picture of Karen Troppman
by Karen Troppman - Thursday, August 12, 2010, 3:34 PM

Hi Wendy, When we renovated our lab a few years ago, we went with Cogent Patient Training Headwalls. The address for the company is:

Hospital Systems Inc.

750 Garcia Avenue

Pittsburgh, California 94565

You do not need an outside source for gas for these units. They are self contained and have compressors that work for both suction and oxygen. The oxygen is not O2 but compressed air and the suction actually works. Hope this helps. Karen smile

Picture of Wendy Grbach
by Wendy Grbach - Friday, August 13, 2010, 9:25 AM

Thanks Karen!
Picture of crystal whitehouse
by crystal whitehouse - Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 1:29 PM

Did you have any issues getting the compressed air hooked up. We have everything in our basement and maintenance will not hook it up. From what I understand most schools have compressed air for this. What school are you at?

Picture of Theresa Williams
by Theresa Williams - Saturday, September 29, 2012, 6:52 AM

We have the wall mounted headwall/suction O2 units. Can anyone suggest a company for the compressor install in the New England area? (we are in N.H.)