Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Sheryl Scott
Access to Simulation Lab
by Sheryl Scott - Friday, March 19, 2010, 10:47 AM

We just set up our new simulation lab (we are a new nursing program). We made the decision to restrict access to the lab to just nursing faculty. However, we are being pressured by other departments of the college to allow other staff and faculty to have access so they can show the lab to prospective students, visitors, etc. We have five simulators, equipment, medical supplies, IV solutions, etc. and we don't feel it is appropriate for everyone to have free access. Any thoughts or opinions? Anyone else facing this same situation?

Thanks.

Picture of Kari Congenie
Re: Access to Simulation Lab
by Kari Congenie - Friday, March 19, 2010, 11:36 AM

We are new to simulation and have a SimMan and a SimBaby. We do allow for prospective students to come by, however, we are a smaller college (D3) and so the volume might not be what you're experiencing. Also, it's done when time/scheduling allows it.

We have had a lot of recent interest in our incorporating simulation into our curriculum and so we are in the process of planning options for the future. There is consideration of creating a professional video that can display "what we do here and how it works" without having to create extra time to demo it to so many. I think we'll still have prospective students visit occasionally (since the volume isn't that of a major university), but it will help with others understanding the process.

We're still sorting all this out since it's so new to us!! :)

Good luck!

Picture of Andrea Ackermann
by Andrea Ackermann - Friday, March 19, 2010, 12:33 PM

Hello Sheryl,

This is a good question. Access to our lab and facilities is limited to nursing faculty, security, maintenance, and cleaning staff. However, being a private not for profit college, we need to be available to show the facilities to visitors, politicians, prospective students, etc. I ask them to make an appointment with me or one of our other faculty and we will give them the tour. Once we started to do this the other divisions and departments realized I knew a lot more than they did about what we do and could give a more informative tour. They always ask if I am available for the tours and I enjoy doing it.

Andy

Andrea D. Ackermann PhD, RN, CNE
Associate Professor of Nursing
Director of Simulation and Clinical Learning
Mount Saint Mary College
Newburgh, NY 12550
Picture of Lynn LeBlanc
by Lynn LeBlanc - Thursday, March 25, 2010, 4:23 PM

I work for a small, private, not for profit school.  We do not let others in the lab area without an appointment.  We do have specific nurse recruitment days when all the manikins can be turned on for demonstration plus we also schedule appointments.  The equipment is costly and fragile, plus we have other supplies (syringes and sharp containers) in the area that don't need to be accessible to others.  Good luck!

Lynn LeBlanc MSN, RN

University of Dubuque

Dubuque, IA

Picture of Tommie Rimes
by Tommie Rimes - Friday, March 26, 2010, 9:24 AM

Hi, Sheryl:

We currently allow tours of our simulation center to prospective learners who are under the supervision of an admissions representative or a faculty member. They are never allowed in the simulation center unattended. Fortunately, we have a simulation center with a central lobby. Our two high-fidelity simulation rooms are adjacent to the lobby and are like critical care rooms with double-pane glass doors. This allows for direct observation of the simulators, monitors, and equipment by prospective learners and other approved visitors without them actually entering the simulation rooms. This is a benefit for us, because it also allows for tours during simulations without disturbing the learners during their simulation experience. We have found that the simulation center and simulation program are great marketing assets for our nursing programs. Prospective learners are telling us that they are vetting local nursing schools based on the quality of their simulation programs, and some of the simulation literature seems to support this.

Good luck to you!

Tommie E. Rimes, MSN, RN
Director of Clinical Simulation
Galen School of Nursing -- Tampa Bay
St. Petersburg, FL
Picture of Kim Leighton
by Kim Leighton - Friday, March 26, 2010, 5:23 PM

Tommie,

Could you share the literature that you indicated in the last sentence? It would be helpful for all of us that are trying to continually improve the labs to have this information for support.

Thanks!
Kim

Kim Leighton, PhD, RN, CNE

Dean of Educational Technology

Co-Director of the Center for Excellence in Clinical Simulation

BryanLGH College of Health Sciences

Lincoln, NE

Picture of Tommie Rimes
by Tommie Rimes - Monday, March 29, 2010, 10:27 AM

Dr. Leighton:

The first article that comes to mind comes from a recent article published by Dr. Debra Jansen and her colleagues  at the University of Wisconsin at Eau Claire:

Jansen, D.A., Berry, C., Brenner, G.H., Johnson, N, & Larson, G. (2009). A collaborative project to influence faculty interest in simulation. Clinical Simulation in Nursing.

The authors state the following in the first paragraph of the article: "...for many prospective faculty and students, the presence of simulation may be a deciding factor when they are choosing a nursing program."

The authors cite the following primary source:

Turcato, N, Roberson, C., & Covert, K. (2008). Simulation-based education: what is in it for nurse anesthesia educators? AANA Journal, 76, 257-262.

Best regards,

Tommie E. Rimes, MSN, RN

Picture of Cheryl Landis
by Cheryl Landis - Monday, March 29, 2010, 12:30 PM

Tommie, I have tried to find the article that you mentioned w/o success. I have examined every article in Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 2009. Can you help me out??

Thanks,

Cheryl Landis MSN RN

clandis@lcctc.org

Picture of Kim Leighton
by Kim Leighton - Monday, March 29, 2010, 2:48 PM

Tommie,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. Very useful!

Cheryl,

Click on Articles in Press, just below Browse all Issues. Its #10 on that list. Looks like it hasn't found its way into publication yet, but you can access it via that route.

Kim

Picture of Tommie Rimes
by Tommie Rimes - Monday, March 29, 2010, 3:04 PM

Hi, Cheryl:

When you log-on to the Clinical Simulation in Nursing journal you can select "browse all issues." Once you are there link to "articles in press" and you should be able to find the Jansen article from late 2009. Let me know if you still have issues.

Good luck!

Tommie E. Rimes, MSN, RN