Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Linda shubert
staffing for simulation
by Linda shubert - Friday, February 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
We have a small nursing program that is stretched as is. Faculty is wondering how to adequately run simulations. How are other institutions funding staffing for sim labs?
Picture of Marjorie Scheikl
Re: staffing for simulation
by Marjorie Scheikl - Sunday, February 21, 2010, 8:10 AM
Staffing can be an issue. We have integrated simulations into the curriculum by having individual course faculty implement their own simulations during the designated course/clinical time.

I am the simulation development coordinator and thus will mentor any faculty member who is new to the process of working with the simulator, setting up, getting the A/V process or debriefing process okay.

We have the majority of our simulations in a Senior Level II course and two faculty who have good experience in developing, programming,and running simulations run them.

Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: staffing for simulation
by vickie valenziano - Thursday, February 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
I am in an ADN program with 100 students per semester. We have used clinical or skills lab time for simulation experiences. The faculty member who is the clinical instructor of the group, or the faculty assigned to work the skills lab that day, facilitates the simulation. I set-up and work the mechanics.
The two of us work together during the scenario so we can gain experience.

Because we are in the initial stages of incorporating simulation into the curriculum, we have started small this semester. Next semester we hope to expand. Faculty training via workshops are ongoing throughout the semester.