Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Hello Everyone

Has any one developed a guideline on how to plan a complete day of simualtion that will be used in a place of a clinical day. For example first 12 hours students prep, next hour simulation is run on topic of choice etc.

Michelle Lewis

Lee College

Simulation Center Coordinator

We actually incorporated simulation as a 2 week clinical experience. I had a preclinical to explain the 'lay of the land' and expectations. They arrived at 0700 in uniform, got report from the night nurse (me) on 3 patients. They then had time to do some research on the disease entities, meds, etc. They were given their roles, such as charge nurse, med nurse, etc and then had to prioritize which patient they would see first, then we started our day. If they made the right choice, had a great day, if they didn't choose the right priority, then things happened, like patients falling out of bed, etc. I was able to change the scenarios based on what they were learning in theory. Our surveys raved about simulation, some said they learned more in simulation than in any other area.
Donna, this sounds like a wonderful experience! Any chance that you would be willing to share the patients' information with me. If so, you could email me at Thanks a million!

If you are willing to share I, too, would be interested.
Donna, could you give a little more info? They did simulation every day for 2 weeks? (I'm thinking that would be great in fundamentals especially.) How many students were in each "group"? Was it a 6, or 8, or more hour day? Thanks, Jean

Sorry for delay in getting back with you!

We have 2 clinical days week--because of increasing number of students and decreasing clinical sites, this was an option that turned out to be a great learning experience. My course coordinator had this in a 'specialy tract', meaning, it was a 2 week rotation with other 2 week rotations within a 6 week period.

I usually had 6 students, though sometimes more. We usually staff for 8 students per instructor--Students had an observational clinical experience during their time in simulation, so they were only there 3 days, thus allowing decreased numbers for me.

I had 2 students be observers and they were to evaluate the student's just as I would, they had a sheet to fill in comments, that allowed 4 for actual client care.

I used case studies, computer programs, policy reviews to break up things so it wouldn't be too intense. We have a contract with Software for Nurses and several of my scenarios came from there, so if I used one of those scenarios in the AM, they would see the actual module in the PM which would 'give them the answers' so to speak

In the new course I'm planning, I will do similar only add in more ethical dilemmas----I can't say enough about the benefits of simulation!!

Now that it is 3 years later, I would love to hear if you have kept simulation as a 2-week rotation, if you have a different means to evaluate students since it is a clinical rotation.
Would you mind emailing me

Crissy Hunter

... and me, too, please Donna?

Thank you! Appreciate your help.

Andrea Sehmel

Aberdeen, WA

Would love to see how you do this also! Thank you Jean Halpern
Here in St. Kitts we have a deficit of acute patients for our students to experience on the island (acute are air flighted).  We have a rotation of clinical simulation experiences in every clinical course.  Mainly we use the vita sims because of the number of students that are present.  The students are given assignments the night before (just like clinical) and are expected to come prepared to care for thier pts.  They are given a chart that has the pt's profile, pt's history & physical, doctor's orders, and essential nursing forms to give care.  Each scenario has it's own set of "incidents" they must find in assessment and respond to, including medication  decisions (high or low blood sugar, elevated BP, bleeding, drug allergy --leveled according to the student level)  If they respond apporpriately, the pt condition improves through vital signs or assessment.  If not the pt can get worse, decreasing BP, blood sugar changes, etc.  I would be happy to send you an examle of one of these scenarios.  Email me.  Pam
Your example sounds very good. Would you mind sending me an example of one of your scenarios? Our program is in its infancy and we are trying to get more proficient with the simulators as well as incorporating them in more areas.

Thank you.

Chris White, MSN, RN
Nursing Instructor
Freed-Hardeman University

Pam, I would love to see an example of this. It must have taken a long time to create all those charts! Can you email me at Thanks so much

Cheryl Landis MSN RN

Lancaster Co. Career & Technology Center

Practical Nursing Program

I would love to have an example of one of your scenarios, we are just starting out incorporating simulations and hopefully will be using them for some clinical days and your experience sounds great

Laurie Dorsey

What is the level of your student?
I teach practical nursing students. So we have 3 levels. And I get involved w/ all 3 levels
Pam, I would like a sample also. Sounds like you put a great deal of work into this. Ever thought of presenting at a conference or writing an article?

Actually I did present these at an International Conference held here in St. Kitts last year. I had 5 students present their patients and plans for the shift.

I am currently working on a book with clinical scenarios, role play 15 min scenarios, and scenarios for each basic nursing skill and check-off.  I have also written scenarios for fundamentals skill exams used at the end of the semester.  I would love to speak or present these to anyone interested.

I will send you a sample.

Pamela Motley MS, RN, CNE

International Universtiy of Nursing, St. Kitts

Gee I wish I knew.  I have sent this to 2 publishers so far.  Any suggestions?  Pam

Pam I would be interested as well if possible.

Thanks so much!!

Hi Pam,
This sounds like a good experience. Anything you might be able to share would be appreciated. I am currently working on a multi patient simulation for senior level BSN students. My email is:

:) thanks
Can you send me more information about this? Sounds great?
We are just starting with Simulation also.  Would love to see how your chart looks.  We are trying to develop our own simulations and it is tough.  I teach RN and LPN students.  RN- early semesters and LPN all the way through.  Thanks.
Could you e-mail me more information on this?   Thanks, sounds great!
could you share that with us ..

ghada almukhaini

We actually just did a clinical day for Seniors in our simulation lab. The time frame was 0730-1500. We began with overview/intro to SimMan (our model is new to the students), signing the confidentiality consent, and a student version of the packet was handed out. I went over the guidelines, instructions, format, etc for the day with one clinical group. They spent about 1.5hrs preparing based on the student packet for diagnosis, meds, etc. Break time. Then broke up into 2 groups: one simulation group, one doing other our case case studies by Elsevier. After debriefing the first group, the entire group went to lunch. We resumed by switching groups (simulation/case studies) and coming together for 30 minutes as a whole for a sort of group debriefing to share experiences, lessons learned, etc. We recapped, highlighting things that students felt they needed to improve on for clinicals. Finally, they filled out an evaluation for simulation. The clinical instructor finished with post conference and announcements. We did collect the student packet (includes questions and filling out a systems report sheet) from each student to keep it from getting around and the instructor can read their answers for the questions in the student packet.

Breaks, lunch time worked in. Myself, course coordinator (served as facilitator for case study group and as MD, RT, etc), and clinical instructor (evaluator). In retrospect, could cut down prep time to an hour. Although we had some snags and errors noted, it actually was good! Mistakes are good to have...they should be picked up on!! We see them in real life. So I plan on keeping them~

It was a great experience! I hope once our Juniors get acclimated to simulation through the Jr core simulations, we can turn it up a notch for Sr Simulation next year. The scenario was definately of a more advanced topic, but since SimMan is so new to us, this was their first time using the technology.

Good luck!

Kari Congenie

Elmhurst College

I got some great ideas off of qsen website

Very interesting Web site....Thanks fo sharing!
Donna, Thanks so much for sharing the QSEN website. It is an invaluable resource.