Developing Simulated Learning Experiences

Picture of Kari Congenie
Sim Man orientation to students
by Kari Congenie - Thursday, January 7, 2010, 10:35 AM

Does anyone have a video link or document of Sim Man orientation for students? I saw one on youtube, but it's very old and outdated. The Sim Man I hear if from 9 years ago. Older model. I just hated to re-create the wheel is someone is ok with sharing. If not, when I create one, I'll post it.

Thanks!

Kari Congenie RN, CNRN

Elmhurst College - Deicke Center for Nursing Education

Picture of Suzie Kardong-Edgren
Re: Sim Man orientation to students
by Suzie Kardong-Edgren - Thursday, January 7, 2010, 10:25 PM

I recently attended a programming workshop at the WISER Center and learned how to have SimMan do the orientation for students all by himself. It is really neat and also useful when tourists come through the Sim Lab, as you do not have to do anything but turn him on. He talks to them, or I talk to them as Sim Woman, and demonstrates everything he can do that we use. It is not hard to do. I also have a planned script for intro to SimMan somewhere, I will look for it.
Picture of Linda shubert
by Linda shubert - Friday, January 8, 2010, 4:52 AM

I will look for your posting- sounds perfect.
Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Saturday, January 9, 2010, 11:59 AM

I would like to see this also. We will be having an open house next month and I would love to try this. Vickie
Picture of Suzie Kardong-Edgren
by Suzie Kardong-Edgren - Saturday, January 9, 2010, 3:57 PM

Mary Anne Rizzolo asked me to submit our Intro to SimMan script to her for posting on the SIRC website. She has it now, so look for it on the SIRC website soon. In addition, one of my doctoral students is writing up how to program SimMan to introduce himself to your students, or potential donors, the board of regents, or general tourists. (For the latter three, our SimMan always says "Go Cougs!" at the end of his self presentation.)

We will have medical students using SimMan soon, so we will also be modifying our introduction to add the intubation capabilities, demonstrating blocked airway, trismus, etc, (which I did not remember he could do), as that does not come up in our general use of SImMan.

Picture of Kari Congenie
by Kari Congenie - Monday, January 11, 2010, 9:41 AM

This is all great info! Thanks! I look forward to the Intro to SimMan submission on the site. Do you know when it will get posted? (I should probably look first to see if it's there yet!)

I'm thinking of audiotaping a clip of my son reading a manuscript to welcome and orient faculty and students to him. If I get this to work properly, I will try to post that to the SIRC website so anyone can use.

I contacted Laerdal and they don't have any videos, but there is a brochure that might be nice to hand out in addition to the audio clip from Sim Man. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Kari

Picture of Kari Congenie
by Kari Congenie - Monday, January 11, 2010, 9:45 AM

I'm not too familiar with this site. Where would SIRC post this tool?
SIRC Admin
by SIRC Admin - Tuesday, January 19, 2010, 3:52 PM

We have posted it today. Click here to go to the FREE downloads section. (Please note you will have to log in to view this section).

SIRC Admin

Picture of cindy cole
by cindy cole - Monday, November 29, 2010, 10:23 AM

Hi. I am new to this site and just saw this posting. I would love to have a copy of this script. I looked on the SIRC website and did not see it on there. Did not know if maybe it had been removed since the original posting was in Jan 2010. Can you please send me a copy of the script? My e-mail is cynthiacole@svhed.org.

Thanks.Cindy

Picture of Kari Congenie
by Kari Congenie - Monday, November 29, 2010, 2:18 PM

Check with your Sim Man educator at Laerdal too. Mine had a great interactive orientation that I tailored to the needs of nursing and used my son's voice for SimMan. It will take you through heart, lung, pulse, manual BP, etc. and I can forward it if need be to the next screen. I don't see a way to attach it on here, so if you send me your email, I can send it to you. It's for the 2nd generation SimMan (not 3G).

Kari Congenie RN CNRN

Elmhurst College Deicke Center for Nursing Education

Nursing Simulation & Skills Lab Coordinator

Elmhurst IL

congeniek@elmhurst.edu

Picture of Phyllis Lauer
by Phyllis Lauer - Monday, September 12, 2011, 10:10 AM

Hello Suzie,

Thanks for your post!!!

Could you send me information on SimMan doing his own orientation?  as well as could you share your script??  

I am a new Sims Lab faculty and manager and I really, really want to do orientation in the Sims lab for the students (and other visitors)!!!!!!!!  

I did demos during teacher orientation week for the entire college campus---many non-nurses attended and were amazed at what Nurses are doing!!   Administration took note!  

I put our Sim Newborn into someone's arms and turned him on.  Everybody was delighted.  A nursing faculty member in the group was so excited she ran around to find a stethoscope and assessed the baby right then and there!  The other non-nurse teachers gathered around and had much appreciation for the work of nurses and nursing students. 

I had a lot of fun!

Thank you!!

Phyllis Lauer, RN,MS,APN-BC    plauer@ssc.edu

Picture of karen palka
by karen palka - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 10:53 AM

I wrote a script and recorded it as a vocal sound for Sim Man. As he speaks I turn the trismus on and off, fool with the cervical ROM, change the lung sound and the heart rate and rhythm. After I play the clip I give the students time to feel and listen to the mannequin and ask any questions they might have.  Then I clear the room and set up for the scenario.  I only do this for first time students.

If you are interested I can e-mail you a copy.

Karen Palka RN

Molloy College

Picture of Cheryl Landis
by Cheryl Landis - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 11:39 AM

Karen, this sounds creative. I would be interested in a copy. Can you send it to clandis@lcctc.org. Thanks!
Picture of Kari Congenie
by Kari Congenie - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:03 PM

Yes, would love it!

Thanks!

Kari Congenie RN, CNRN

Nursing Clinical Simulation and Skills Coordinator

Elmhurst College – Deicke Center for Nursing Education

190 Prospect Ave

Elmhurst IL 60126

630-617-3353

Email: congeniek@elmhurst.edu

“ Tell me, and I will forget. Show me, and I may remember.  Involve me, and I will understand.”  Confucius, 450 BC

Picture of Megan McClintock
by Megan McClintock - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 12:17 PM

I would be interested too - mtmconsult@cox.net

Megan McClintock
Picture of patricia mccauley
by patricia mccauley - Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 3:42 PM

Hi Karen- Could you send me a copy ? Thanks. Pat McCauley
Picture of Pamela Jackson-Motley
by Pamela Jackson-Motley - Friday, February 26, 2010, 9:50 AM

email?
Picture of Edward Rovera
by Edward Rovera - Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 7:22 PM

Hi Karen,
Could I also get a copy? edrovera@sfsu.edu Thanks.
Picture of vickie valenziano
by vickie valenziano - Thursday, February 25, 2010, 11:14 AM

I would like a copy also. Thank you!

Vickie

vvalen254@aol.com
Picture of Johnna Sands
by Johnna Sands - Friday, April 23, 2010, 4:23 PM

Would you please add me to the list?

Thank you so much,

Johnna

jsands@jacksonville.edu

Picture of Kelli Davis
by Kelli Davis - Thursday, May 13, 2010, 1:20 PM

I would love a copy also.

Kelli Davis kdavis@gadsdenstate.edu

Picture of Lisa Hill
by Lisa Hill - Tuesday, June 22, 2010, 2:51 PM

I would also like to recieve a copy?  I've looked on the web page and it is not there. 

Thanks

lisa.hill@blackrivertech.org

Picture of Germain Cormier
by Germain Cormier - Thursday, August 12, 2010, 1:19 PM

Hi Karen,

I would also be interested in obtaining a copy if possible?

email: gcormier@uottawa.ca

Thanks!

Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Thursday, August 12, 2010, 1:58 PM

This sounds great...if I could get a copy I would appreciate it..

Susan Ramnarine-Singh

Central Texas College

Picture of Michelle Howard
by Michelle Howard - Friday, August 20, 2010, 8:53 PM

Karen,

I would love a copy of your Intro script. My email is: howardp@otc.edu.

Thanks!

Picture of Tina Waller
by Tina Waller - Saturday, September 18, 2010, 12:40 AM

Hi Karen,

I would be so grateful to get a copy of your script as well. I have been trying to write my own and using my husband as the voice. I know I have left some items out so would love to see yours to compare.

My email address is tina.waller@canyons.edu

Thanks

Tina Waller

Nursing Lab Coordinator

College of the Canyons, Santa Clarita, CA.

Picture of Trevor Nicely
by Trevor Nicely - Wednesday, September 21, 2011, 12:11 PM

It's easy to do this using simple audio recordings and a linear framed scenario.

Record yourself using windows recorder or any audio recording software. Save the files individually as .wav files in the 'Save As' menu. Welcome them to your sim lab, introduce the manikin, explain where the manikin has pulses, discuss the reactive pupils. ect... Think of this as the flight attendents sort of naration for what to do in event of a water landing! Discuss the policies of the lab, whether food/drink/pens are allowed, and any background information about your sim lab they should know. Be sure to record a seperate file asking the participants to "now touch the left radial pulse to continue."

Import these .wav media files to your simman software

Create a scenario in which you drop each .wav file into a seperate frame. You'll have a frame welcoming them, a frame introducing the different hear/lung sounds, a frame about the policies...so on. Link the frames using 'Radial Pulse Check' event. Be sure to add the "now touch the left radial pulse to continue" file after the naration file.

You know have a self guided orientation to your sim center/ manikin that allows the users to move through the orientation at their own pace.

Feel free to email me for any details or questions at nwsimtech@gmail.com

-Trevor Nicely

Picture of LaTashia  Tittle
by LaTashia Tittle - Tuesday, July 3, 2012, 7:39 PM

Karen,

I am viewing your post regarding your pre recorded script for "Simulation Orientation". Will you be open to sharing that with me; I would like to pattern the work you have already done for a simulation orientation for my students? I think the voice recording is an superb idea.

All other ideas are welcomed from anyone who would like to share!!!

Thank you

If so my email address is listed below

Ltittle@nu.edu