Simulation Settings and Specialties

Picture of Kari Congenie
Need scenarios for Jr Semester 2 students
by Kari Congenie - Monday, January 4, 2010, 9:45 AM

Hi!

I am new to simulation and we are in the process of integrating simulation into the Jr and Sr level nursing students. We have Med Surg 2 and Peds rotations for our Jr students starting in February.

I wondered if anyone had any scenarios on pediatric: dehydration and respiratory scenarios as well as adult: stroke and chest tube scenarios.

Any assist would be great!

Best,

Kari Congenie RN BSN CNRN

Elmhurst College; Elmhurst IL

Picture of cynthia crews
Re: Need scenarios for Jr Semester 2 students
by cynthia crews - Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 9:25 PM

What type of pediatric simulator do you have?  I have vital kid that I programmed a simulation of a 7 year old with a moderate asthma attack also with s/s of abuse "bruising of various stages and size" .  In this scenario the actual programming of the vital kid is very simple, then I use a wireless microphone for vocals to make the basic manikin appear more high fidelity.  Also I get one of the students to be the over protective/abusive parent. The students love this scenario.  

If you have Sim NewB or Sim Baby RSV is also a good scenario to consider.  I hope this helps.

Cindy Crews, MSN, RN, CNE

Southern Virginia Higher Education Center

South Boston, VA

Picture of Kari Congenie
Re: Need scenarios for Jr Semester 2 students
by Kari Congenie - Thursday, January 28, 2010, 12:03 PM

We are getting a SimBaby very soon. The instructor wished to have 2 scenarios: one with asthma (11yr old), the other n/v, diarrhea/dehydration (infant). The child abuse component is very interesting...great idea!

When I get these scenarios completed and confirmed as working, I hope to post it for others to use.

Thanks!

Kari