Simulation Centers and Faculty/Staff Development

Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
Simulation Policies and Procedures
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:46 AM

Here at Central Texas College, I am the new Coordinator of the Simulation lab and wonder if anyone has examples of how they put policies and procedures in place.  This is a newly created position here and our new nursing building will be completed hopefully by Fall 2010, Spring 2011 timeframe.  I just need a jump start of where everyone began their journey as simulation coordinators....thank you,

Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: Simulation Policies and Procedures
by vickie valenziano - Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 11:53 AM
Susan, congrats on being the coordinator. I am the coordinator for Cuesta College, a community college in California. I started in Oct and we are up and running mid January. Was quite a task but we are ready to go!

As far as policies and procedures, I reviewed those that were available from others first. The METI and Laerdal websites have several. Then found some with simulation organizations (INACSL, BASC, SIRC, etc.) Also contacted simular schools near us via our lab coordinator group. I then chose the statements from these that met the needs of our facility. Wasn't too difficult as we aren't a simulation center with outside use. Policies include: how to schedule the lab, process for choosing scenarios and modifications, scheduling student orientation, ordering supplies, faculty orientation, faculty workshop needs for training, roles during the simulation (facilitator, debriefer, computer operator).

Skills are to be performed as instructed in class using their current skills books, so there is no need for procedure policies.

I am sure I will be expanding on these as we have more experience.

Good luck to you!

Vickie Valenziano, RN, MSN, CNE
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Cuesta College
Picture of Susan Ramnarine-Singh
Re: Simulation Policies and Procedures
by Susan Ramnarine-Singh - Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 2:07 PM

Vickie, thank you for your email.  I hope I can be as quick as you .....  I will look at other area colleges also.  Thanks a million and Have a Happy New Year....

Susan Ramnarine-Singh, RN, MSN, MPA, CNOR, MAJ/ANC (Ret)

Central Texas College, Killeen, Texas