Interprofessional Education

Picture of Catherine Bailey
Collaborative Simulation
by Catherine Bailey - Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 9:04 PM

Hello everyone! I plan to collaborate with the School of Respiratory Therapy at our university in an asthma scenario. The nursing students will find a patient in resp distress, assess, determine the need to adminster a prn Albuterol neb, and call RT. The RT students will come and initiate the neb. This will help both ADN and RT students with multidisciplinary collaboration/communication. Has anyone else collaborated with another department? If so, would you please share your activities? Thank you.

Picture of vickie valenziano
Re: Collaborative Simulation
by vickie valenziano - Thursday, December 3, 2009, 2:24 PM

I like the collaboration idea. With teamwork and communication such key issues, practicing working together with other disciplines is very helpful. Here are some activities I have heard of; these are based in schools with a variety of allied health programs.

EMT and nursing students: EMT's respond to a patient (in parking lot, trapped in car, etc.) and bring them to the sim center (ie: hospital) where they give report to ER nursing students.

Psych tech students playing patients for mental health simulations. RT's can play patients in respiratory distress, with COPD, etc.

Pharmacy techs can be involved with dispensing medications. One school has a built in pharmacy for their pharm tech program so students go there to obtain meds just like they would in a hospital.

Of course a mock code can involve everyone: RT, x-ray tech, students, EMT, even CNA. Great for teamwork and delegation. Then the med students arrive and conduct meds per patient medical condition. Family members arrive in the middle of the code - now there is a communication opportunity. Don't leave out the phlebotomists in training!

Monitor tech programs can detect abnormalities and report to student nurse/nurse.

Hope these help!

Vickie Valenziano
Simulation Lab Coordinator
Cuesta College
San Luis Obispo, California

Picture of Diane Brown
by Diane Brown - Wednesday, December 9, 2009, 11:23 AM

Hello everyone!  I was recently involved in an interdisciplinary simulation similar to what is described above.  Out "patient" was a COPD patient having an acute exacerbation and respiratory distress.  The professionals included BSN nursing students in a critical care course, respiratory therapy students, and medical students.  Our overall goal was to make each discipline aware of communications with the different professionals present.  Even though the participants were told that this was the goal, all were amazed at how little communication was done with the different disciplines.  All participants were positive about the experience and asked for more opportunities to practice this skill. It was a great experience and I encourage everyone to overcome the obstacles that scheduling this type of experience a struggle.  It was worth the effort!

Diane Brown, The University of Akron, College of Nursing

Picture of Kimberly Roach
by Kimberly Roach - Wednesday, December 16, 2009, 1:35 PM

In the spring and fall semesters, the medical and nursing students at a local university, rotate through our simulation lab and participate in a collaborative simulation where the nursing student cares for the patient who begins to experience changes.  The nursing student communicates with the medical student and together they have to care for the patient.  The goal of the simulation is to not only care for the patient and diagnose him properly, but also to encourage communication skills between the students.  It also allows teambuilding to ensure they all understand its everyone's responsibility to work towards the optimal outcome for the patient. 

We are also in the process of constructing a scenario involving a vented patient with an artline that will involve physical therapy, respiratory therapy and nursing.  The hope is to use this to train new therapists and nurses on the care of these patients prior to working on the floors.  It will also be used to work with the seasoned staff as refresher.  Its nice to get all disciplines involved as each area brings their own experiences and questions to the debriefing.  It encourages commradare and confidence among each discipline to decrease the 'silo' effect. 

Finally, we conduct mock code blues at our hospital.  This is a truly collaborative effort and all department respond, even MD's.  This allows opportunity for role definition, team building and reinforcement of adherence to AHA guidelines.  The feedback is tremendously positive. 

This is certainly an area that is a hot topic.  I wish you luck with your collaborative efforts.

Picture of jeanette McNeill
by jeanette McNeill - Thursday, April 14, 2011, 11:51 AM

So far we are in the planning stages, but have a School of Pharmacy, Optometry, Physical therapy (starting soon) all at the doctorate level, so plan to incorporate some or all of these disciplines and they  are very interested in using our new simulation lab facilities.  Additionally, we have had the Theater Arts department chair help us in staging our Community health/Psych mental health room to be as authentic and versatile as possible.

We teach an elective now on palliative/EOL care with Pharmacy, and have used a simulation with HFS to have the students experience symptom management, and EOL issues--we had the simulator actually and then portrayed the family and health professional issues using guidance from the work of Smith-Stoner who did the "Silver Hour" (30 minutes before and after death) scenario with nursing students--her work is featured on the annotated bib,I believe.  But so far the simulation has not been interdisciplinary except for the faculty who are nurses as well as Pharm D--all students are pharmacy so far due to scheduling issues.

This is a really needed area of research, and we are working on a study proposal--

Picture of Marilyn Stoner
Re: Collaborative Simulation--SIlver Hour
by Marilyn Stoner - Thursday, April 14, 2011, 4:53 PM

So glad to see the research is activity is going on. I would suggest using:

Mazor K., Schwartz, C. E., Rogers, H. J. (2004). Development and testing of a new instrument for measuring concerns about dying in healthcare providers. Assessment, 11(3): 230-237.

This is a short validated tool focused on thinking about your own death and caring for people who are dying. It works well within simulation. I am working with colleagues from Sweden and Norway on a 3 year study using this tool with nursing students. We are in year 3 of data collection. An article on year one results is shortly forthcoming. There are other tools as well.
Once we finish year 3, we will start to validate end of life scenarios/simulation to work on anxiety, etc. I have recently updated my Silver hour web site and much more teaching material is being posted. I suggest everyone try a post mortem simulation. For reluctant faculty, they do not even have to turn the simulator on, the results are powerful when students are supported through the process of post mortem care.
Marilyn
mstoner@csusb.edu
Picture of Kathleen Atchison
by Kathleen Atchison - Saturday, April 16, 2011, 2:47 PM

Since simulation is part of our student's clinical course grade, we do not want anything to interfere with the student's demonstration of their abilities.  So to encourage  interdisciplinary interaction, we have one student act as the UAP or CNA and faculty plays the role of the Physician.  Along with our ACLS course, we are also starting to test more interdisciplinary Code Team scenarios where a group of students rotate playing the different roles.